Should I Get Another CT Scan?

I was recently scheduled for a septorhinoplasty to straighten a ("very, very") deviated septum and a crooked nose tip, both of which arose from contact sport. However, last night, while fumbling around in a foreign room, I bumped my nose and forehead against an ill-placed wall. There was no lasting pain in my nose, though it smarted a little for about thirty-seconds afterwards. My question: must I now get a *new* CT scan before undergoing surgery? (I don't want my surgeon going in blind!)

Should I Get Another CT Scan?

+2

This assumes that you had a previous CT scan for a crooked nasal septum which is way over the top in my humble opinion.  The nature of the septal deviation can be determined through direct examination both before and during the Rhinoplasty making the CT unnecessary.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

CT scan and septorhinoplasty

+2

A CT scan is normally not needed before septorhinoplasty surgery.  The physical exam is usually enough to evaluate the nose and septum before surgery.  CT scans can be helpful to evaluate any potential sinus problems though.  It also doesn't sound as though your recent injury was significant enough to cause any changes to the nasal bones or septum.   

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CAT scans are overkill for most septoplasty.

+2

Most the time a CAT scan is not needed prior to airway work. If you're anticipating surgery I don't think that repeating the test will help the surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Is a CT scan necessary for rhinoplasty surgery?

+1

The only time I get a CT scan for a potential rhinoplasty patient is if I am also evaluating the patient for sinus disease or if there is the possibility of fractures. If the patient does not have a significant history for sinus and allergy disease I don't find that much value in a CT. A thorough physical exam is the most important part of planning a rhinoplasty procedure.

I would follow up with your surgeon to determine if any further workup needs to be done prior to surgery.

Should I Get Another CT Scan?

+1

Physical exam generally suffices for septal exam.  CT scan can be ordered if concerned about other fractures secondary to the trauma.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

New CT scan

+1

I would not think that you would need an additional CT scan since it will most likely not change the original operative plan.