3 Months Post Op Tummy Tuck - Will I Be Able to Do a Half Marathon in March?

I ha a tummy tuck in July. I jist started running and it feels like my insdes are goin to fall out! Any advice to start running again? Will i be able to do a half marathon in March? No problems with my stomach except a small dog ear that is going to need fixed soon.

Distance Running and Training After Surgery

+2

Getting back into running after surgery takes some patience. First of all, please do not begin any strenuous training until your surgeon gives you the all clear.

Several of my patients have successfully gotten back to half and full marathon races within the year after abdominoplasies. Most of them noticed that getting back into shape took some time, due to the downtime immediately following surgery. Once they got back in their running routines, they found that using a training group or coach helped since this allowed some flexibility in their schedule to allow for slightly longer recovery in between runs.

Be patient, don't expect a personal best time in June, listen to your body for signs that you need additional recovery or rest, and enjoy the training.

Running after a Tummy Tuck

+2

Normally, 6 weeks after a Tummy Tuck it is safe to resume vigorous physical activity, but gradually. You have not been running for a while, so it is like any new physical activity. Start slow, and build your tolerance again.

If you were running half marathons before your Tummy Tuck, it will come back quickly. If you have not been running for a few months, it will take a few months to et back in shape. If you have never run a half marathon, consider working with a trainer for endurance and strengthening. A light compression garment, may be helpful for comfort, but in most cases this is not necessary.

The advice above is general advice, and cannot take the place of a consultation. The best person to ask is your plastic surgeon. They know more about you and your operation.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Half marathon after tummy tuck

+2

You are ready to start running by three months after, but don't expect a PR. After all the time off you have to build from a base, so start back at a comfortable pace and run for a set time rather than a set distance. Racing will be frustrating until you are back to your old stride and at least 18 weeks of running.

Tummy Tuck And Running Marathon?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck operation.  Of course, your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you about returning to specific activities.   The advice you receive online can only be general advice.  Assuming that you are able to train appropriately at this point, I think you should be able to participate in the half marathon in March.  The only advice I can provide is to “start slow” and listen to your body as you progress.

Again, always best to check with your plastic surgeon regarding specific activities,  specially if you are experiencing any discomfort…

Half Marathon in March?

+1

Usually by six weeks or so most patients can begin to resume their pre-op exercise routines. When they start, it can be difficult--as it might be if they stopped for six weeks for any reason. By this time, your repair is as solid as it will be, and getting back slowly to where you were before surgery should be accomplished over a month or so, easily for your half-marathon. 

If there are any particular issues, no one will be able to diagnose them online, so a visit to your surgeon, or at least a phone call is in order. 

Thanks, best wishes for a good run.