After Breast Implant Surgery, my Nipples Are Crooked? (photo)

I had implants put in in 2005. They were much, much larger than I wanted and I lost nipple sensation on my left side. On the right I have significant darting nerve pain when the nipple is tugged. In 2006, the surgeon who implanted my breasts agreed to put in smaller ones at no extra charge. That's fine, except that my nipples are embarrassingly crooked. So instead of feeling better about my breasts, I continue to be self-conscious about them. What is the cost to fix this, if it can be fixed??

Nipple Asymmetry Becomes Magnified After Breast Implants

+1

Most likely you had horizontal nipple asymmetry before surgery. I would check your preoperative photos. You may have never noticed before because your breasts were smaller. Once they are enlarged with implants, even subtle horizontal nipple asymmetry becomes much more apparent. This can be improved if desired by a small nipple lift on the lower side which can be done in the office under local anesthesia.

After Breast Implant Surgery, my Nipples Are Crooked?

+1

Revision surgery can be done to improve the appearance of the breasts. Fee range are from $4,000 to $8,000. Best to seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city, try U of Mich dept of PS. 

Nipples Uneven

+1

A preop photo would be helpful.  You may have had some nipple asymmetry that has been magnified by making your breasts larger with implants. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Nipple asymmetry

+1

Nipple asymmetry is common and most likely present preoperatively if you had a chance to look at your original photos.

Nipple asymmetry following breast augmentation may be due to pre-existing problem

+1

Your breast mound looks fairly symmetric from your photograph.  You do have some asymmetry of the nipple but this may not be due to the implant placement but rather a pre-existing structural abnormality.  The breasts  are sisters and not twins.  I would need to review your pre-surgery photographs to understand why you have this particular asymmetry.  If your breasts are soft then you do not have a capsular contracture and this would be one cause of asymmetry.  

Crooked nipples

+1

The position of the nipples on the breast is generally the same as preop, but underlying anatomic abnormalities can influence your look as kind of an "optical illusion".

The photo is a little small to say for sure, but I think you have a bony variation of your chest where your breast bone is more pushed in than average.  That can make your nipples look like they point more toward the center than what you might see on photos of other women.

Some women have a sharp curve of their ribs on one side more than the other that makes their nipple look asymmetrical and point off to the side.  All of these sorts of things may be more obvious with an enhanced breast than , say, with an A cup breast.  It is not from the augmentation that it is happening, but rather from the shape underneath the breast.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon