Are Ankles and Calves at Risk for Lumpiness and Unevenness After Lipo?

With 16" calves, all doctors I've seen said i'm a good lipo candidate. Is it likely to get permanent lumpiness/unevenness in the area? I tried to find pictures of bad ankle lipo online just to get an idea what can be the worst possible outcome, but there aren't any (plenty for other areas though, e.g.tummy). So, what are my risks of getting aestethically unpleasing result? How common is it?

Liposuction of the legs

+1

Your concerns are valid. Liposuction below the knee is well known as an area of high risk for postoperative contour irregularities. Make certain you are not being sold on something by someone who has anything but YOUR best interest in mind.

As LOTS of unqualified physicians perform liposuction, it is very important to make sure you are seeing a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can help people with fat calves and ankles

+1

Liposuction with the micro canulas do very good for fat calves and ankles but must be done by a surgeon with a lot of experience in this area.  Ankles stay swollen longer than most areas due to the gravity effect of the swelling but look so nice when the final results are seen. 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo of ankles

+1

You have rather large ankles, as you know.  My concern would not be for wavy surface irregularities.  My concern would be for redundant skin that would remain after liposution.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Liposuction of the calves and ankles

+1

Irregularities and indentations can occur in any anatomical site when liposuction is done. Liposuction on the lower extremities is usually done with small instruments to protect the tissues as much as possible. It is quite typical for these areas to be swollen much longer than other body sites after liposuction and compression garments are usually used for some time after surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of calves and ankles

+1

Liposuction of calvesa and ankle is generally speaking more difficult than other places. This is because not only the fat is more localized, but also the skin is more adhered to the underlying tissues and bones. Although liposuction is possible, swelling in this area is more significant and more lasting than other areas.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Ankle and Calf Lipo

+1

Ankle and calf lipo is a specialized area for liposuction. You should make sure that you are going to an experienced plastic surgeon. As long as your surgeon is very meticulous about his or her work, you should be in good hands. If you post pictures, we may be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction of ankles and calves is trickier.

+1

Hi.

1) Liposuction of the calves and ankles is done safely and effectively, but it is very technique sensitive.

2) You need to use tiny cannulas, you need to approach each area from two directions, you need to be conservative, and you need to have a good eye.

3) Also compression garments for several weeks are very important.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Ankles and calves are at a greater risk for lumpiness after lipo

+1

YES! Absolutely! You Bet! These areas as stated by the previous posters are very unforgiving. See a TRUE Lipo Expert than decide if the risk/benefit ratio meets to your level of acceptance.

From MIAMI

Prolonged swelling of calves and ankles following liposuction

+1

The truth is anywhere you liposuction is at risk for lumpiness. The primary issue with the calves and ankles is that the venous pressure tends to be higher than other areas of the body which makes it more prone to prolonged swelling (edema). Use of supportive garments minimizes this tendency.

Ankle and calf liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be very helpful in these areas but the specific amount and distribution of the fat is important to consider. I have performed this with great success but selection of patient is extremely important. I also use small cannula sizes and a technique called syringe liposuction that allows me to control exactly the amount of fat I remove. It is certainly not fool-proof and you must be prepared for the minor irregularities that can occur after any liposuction procedure.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD