Ankle Lipo if Underlying Vascular Problem?

I am a 31yr old female of slim build but heavier lower legs. There is what seems a 1cm pocket of fat in the ankle area. The ankle area tends to be more swollen in the evenings. Have a history of hypertension but is well controlled. I have had 3 exams re ankle lipo-2 surgeons felt I needed a vascular assessment first but did not explain why? The other surgeon felt he could improve the ankle area with lipo. I am therefore v concerned about proceeding with this. I would appreciate any thoughts

Hypertension, Swelling, and Ankle Liposuction

+1

If swelling is a significant component of the problem, liposuction will not help and has the potential to make the problem worse.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Ankle Lipo if Underlying Vascular Problem

+1

Thank you for your question. I would get evaluated by a vascular surgeon to discuss all of your options. Lipo will not be  the best course of action. It is best to improve your underlying medical condition which will naturally improve your swelling. Go through the medical options first before going to the cosmetic treatments.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Ankle liposuction is safe but the convalescence is complicated.

+1

I don't know why you would need a vascular work-up for ankle liposuction.  However, suctioning around the ankle requires careful attention to swelling in the area by way of leg elevation and compressive garments.  Unchecked, the swelling can become chronic and lead to thickened skin and sub-Q.