What Anesthesia is Used for Rhinoplasty?

What anesthesia is used in Rhinoplasty, and where does the doctor inject it? I'm afraid the injection will hurt.

Rhinoplasty under general anesthesia

+2

I perform rhinoplasty under general anesthesia.  The patient is asleep prior to injection. Some surgeons perform rhinoplasty with IV sedation, but patients usually do not remember the injection.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia & Rhnoplasty

+1

There are various methods of anesthesia used in rhinoplasty and cosmetic surgery. These include general anesthesia, IV sedation, local / topical anesthesia. Different surgeons prefer different types of anesthesia depending on the what needs to be done surgically, but the number one priority during surgery (other than obtaining a good cosmetic result) is the patient's safety. Most rhinoplasty surgery is performed under general anesthesia (using anesthetic gas delivered via a breathing tube inserted into the windpipe after the patient is asleep) because the patient is completely asleep, doesnt move, and the airway is protected from aspiration of blood or secretions.

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com/html/meet-dr-cochran.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia for rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is usually performed under a general anesthesia. The entire nose needs to be injected with lidocaine and epinephrine. The epinephrine prevents bleeding from occurring because the nose is so vascular. The lidocaine numbs up the nose so that a lighter amount of anesthesia can be used.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty, What Type of Anesthesia is Given, Do the Injections Hurt?

+1

Hi Jenny in Albania,

In our surgery center, the only thing that our patients feel is a quick 2 second pinch on their hand where local anesthesia is placed where the IV will be placed. Once the IV is in, the patient is given Diprovan which allows them to be asleep yet still breathing on their own without the need for intubation or a ventilator.

Once asleep, the nose is injected with local anesthesia, and then the operation is performed.

With regard to Albanian anesthesia, I am unable to tell you how your surgeon will anesthetist you. But if it is entirely under local anesthesia, you will be aware of the injections. Ask your surgeon to answer this question for you.

Be well.

Dr. P

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.