Anesthesia for Facial Surgery?

I will have to undergo a facial surgery in a weeks time and I would like to know how the anesthesia will be administered. I am extremely scared of injections (it is almost a phobia for me) and I don't think I will be able to even stand an IV needle. In such cases, what options do I have? I don't want to know what is happening during the procedure nor do I want to feel any injections that may be needed. Please advise!

Anesthesia for facial surgery

+1

There are different levels of anesthesia, which include IV sedation (conscious sedation) or general anesthesia.  These types of anesthesia should be performed by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.  The starting of an IV usually occurs in one arm and is preceded by a small injection of Novocain. Once the IV is in place the anesthetic is initiated through the IV. For general anesthesia, once the patient has been put to sleep through the IV, the anesthetic gas is administered through a breathing tube.  The patient will not have any recollection of general anesthesia and is completely asleep.

Facial plastic surgery anaesthesia

+1

Needle phobias are quite common.  A topical anaesthetic gel can be placed on the arm for a few minutes prior to starting the i.v. which will make the entire process completely painless.  The two choices for the actual anaesthesia are intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia.  Both are very safe and very effective for managing the patient during the procedure.  Each has its own particular advantages and disadvantages.  Have a discussion with your surgeon about the options available and what he would recommend for you.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon