I Never Had Anesthesia Before, Do I Need Any Specific Tests Before Going Under for my Rhinoplasty?

I am 40 years old, as far as I know healthy. I am scared to go under since the only anesthesia I ever had was epidural. When I was a little kid I was told that i had heart murmur, but since 16 years old nobody ever mentioned it to me. I've never had a real physical except during pregnancy, and had a full blood work done for life insurance. never had any problems. Any specific tests need to be done pre-op? my Dr said that no, no tests but still would like other opinions.

Anesthesia

+1

As long as you are in good health, don’t smoke, and have normal blood pressure, there are no special preparations other than following the instructions provided by your surgeon

Preop blood work and clearance

+1

Each doctor has his own requirements for surgery and this can also depend upon the patient's age and medical history.

Rhinoplasty Anesthesia

+1

Pre-operative clearance for anesthesia will depend upon your overall health and your age. Most people your age do not require any testing other then a pregnancy test within a week before your surgery. However,  since you are 40 years old it is probably wise to have a relationship with a primary care physician for general health screening.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tests before surgery for rhinoplasty

+1

At age 40, if you are in good health, there are no tests indicated for anesthesia before your rhinoplasty. If you are over 50, an EKG might be in order, or blood tests if you have been on certain medications. A urine pregnancy test is a good idea for women of child bearing years.

Healthy 40 year old doesn't really need any tests before rhinoplasty under general anesthesia.

+1

If you are healthy, no testing is needed for the purposes of safety of the operation.  If you have a murmur, your sugeon will hear this at the pre-op exam and might want you to see an internist.  Otherwise, no other testing (for establishing safety for surgery) is needed.