I Am Anemic, I Have Rhinoplasty in Less Than 3 Weeks, Will There Be Complications?

Is it dangerous and should I let my surgeon know. I completley forgot to mention it to him. Can having anemia make side effects worse from general anesthesia? thanks

+1

This depends on how anemic you are and how much blood is lost during your Rhinoplasty.  Is there any reason that you are not being treated to correct the anemia before your Rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty is planned: and you have anemia?

+1

You are raising a very important point.

I do not know how anemic you are, but typically, one should not go into elective plastic surgery unless all lab tests are normal.  Have you discussed the fact that you are “anemic” with your cosmetic surgeon

I know you said you forgot to mention it to him, but:

•    Were the laboratory tests ordered by him?
  •    Did he receive a copy of the report? 
  •    Or, did the doctor who did your preoperative history and physical receive a copy of that lab  report? 

In any event, your personal doctor needs to speak with your cosmetic plastic surgeon.

Frankly, unless the anemia is very, very, very minimal, the surgery may require postponement . 

Your surgeon and personal physician can agree on the right plan.  Yes, being anemic, if significant, can be a risk factor for anesthesia.  Why would you take any risk at all for elective surgery?

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty and Anemia?

+1

Yes you should inform your surgeon of any/all medical/psychiatric history. Unless you're very severely anemic however it is unlikely that the anemia will affect the timing or outcome of your surgery/ anesthesia.

Rhinoplasty in anemia

+1

If you have anemia you should inform your surgeon preoperatively. Many patients especially women, have mild anemia, which would not interfere with proceeding with surgery. Severe anemia however, is a different story and you may need to determine the cause. I always have my patient obtain blood count preoperatively to determine if they Are anemic. You should discuss the issue with your surgeon to see what he recommends.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty with Anemia

+1

As a surgeon for over 35 years I expect my patients to share all significant medical history. I always get pre-op blood tests before doing surgery under general anesthesia. More important than telling us about your anemia, please notify your surgeon.

Anemia alone should not complicate rhinoplasty

+1

Most rhinoplasties lose a teaspoon or so of blood. This amount of blood loss is inconsequential for a person with longstanding mild anemia.

If your surgeon, like many, required routine preparatory blood testing, he likely already noticed your mild anemia.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anemia and rhinoplasty

+1

Not to worry!  I would recommend alerting your surgeon, but in general, rhinoplasty is not a procedure that involves any significant amount of blood loss.  Depending on the severity of the anemia your wound healing can be more prolonged but from the standpoint of safety...you're in the clear.  Good luck!

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anemia and surgery

+1

The procedure of a rhinoplasty can cause the loss of some small amount of blood. Usually that is not a problem, but if one is starting with anemia, I think it best to correct the anemia before the surgery so as to limit your post operative fatigue.

Julio Garcia, MD