Precautions for Anemic Patient Undergoing Multiple Cosmetic Surgeries?

I am wanting to have surgery in March-April. Tummy Tuck, Liposuction to the abdomen, waist, and back, along with Brazilian Butt Lift. Being anemic with 10.5 Hemoglobin, is there any way I can get my blood count up and what level should it be to have the surgery?

Should I have the surgeries in two stages once I get my blood count up? I am a female in my 40's 155lbs 5'5" and have been a anemic all my life. Thank you doctors for you help!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Medical clearance before a Brazilian butt lift

+1

A Brazilian butt lift is a safe and effective procedure that combines liposuction of the abdomen hips waist and back and grafting this fat to the gluteal (butt) region. This is a safe and great way to create a tight waist and abdomen and a full, beautiful bottom.

However, keep in mind that your health and safety must always be the first priority. It is essential that you only work with a plastic surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of plastic surgery and has a great deal of experience in butt augmentation. Regardless, you will definitely need a thorough medical evaluation and preoperative clearance to determine if it is safe to proceed with the surgery with your anemia and determine what can be done to optimize your health before your surgery. 

You can not be anemic if you are going to have significant liposuction

+5

Liposuction, irregardless of technique cause blood loss. In my personal experience with many buttock agumentation procedures, most patient's Hemoglobulin levels drops by 3-4 points after significant liposuction and brazilian buttock augmentation. therefore, I recommed that you start taking iron pills or even to consider iron transfusion, which does not carry the risk of blood transfusion.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/p_buttock.htm

Anemia and Costmetic Surgery

+2

Hi there-

The most important issue here is not really what you might be able to do to elevate your blood count, but rather finding out why it is low in the first place.

There are many possible causes for anemia, and some may require specific treatments.

Depending on what is causing your anemia and the treatment your doctor recommends, there may be things you can do to improve your blood count before surgery, or it may be that your doctor thinks you should wait to have your surgery until the condition causing the anemia improves.

Either way, you need to see your doctor. 

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Anemia and multiple surgeries

+2

With a hemoglobin around 10, I would not consider doing all the surgeries you mention. The risk of acute or progressive decrease in your red blood cell count is too great. First, you need to find out why you have chronic anemia. All surgeries, but especially the ones you mentioned, have a risk of intra-operative blood loss and post-op bruising that contributes to further intravascular blood loss. At the very least, you should have your own banked blood available and this requires a number of weeks to prepare. At your level, your margin for error is very slim.

Anemic patient having plastic surgery

+2

Anemia can be caused by many conditions. It is important that you discuss your condition with your plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation by your hematologist. You may want to separate your procedures to different times and not push to have all the procedures at the same time.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Anemia and multiple cosmetic procedures

+2

The treatment of your anemia depends on the diagnosis. If you have iron deficiency anemia or anemia due to blood loss, iron supplements will be the best choice. Pernicious anemia is treated with pernicious anemia. Anemia associated with renal disease may benefit from erythropoietin. You should discuss this with your primary care physician.

Given the extent of your surgical procedures, I would strongly consider staging your options if you were not capable of significantly elevating your blood count.

Buttock augmentation

+1

I agree with one of the respondents.  Why is your blood count low?  Hold off the big operation until that is determined.  Your blood count is too low.  Iron, green leafy vegetables, etc.

First, see your medical doctor

+1

You want multiple surgeries that may cause blood loss; therefore, you need to have your anemia worked  up and treated. Your blood count needs to be higher if I was to do the surgery. It will take months to get it up so get started on the appropriate treatment.

Anemia and Plastic Surgery

+1

Anemia can affect your healing,  prolong your recovery time, and raise the chances of you needinga  blood transfusion after surgery.

As already mentioned,  you may need the help of your iternist or even a hematologist to diagnose and treat your anemia.

Many of my patients have had weight loss surgery, and are contemplating very big procedures.  Many also run a chronic anemia no matter what is done to treat it. 

Anemia is not about how low the number is (i.e. your Hb of 10.5)  but how your body has adjusted to it. 

So, cardio conditioning and aerobics can go a long way in helping your body acclimate to the anemia and thus lower your chances of needing a transfusion.

Anemia

+1

See your Family Physician or a hemtologist for full work up for your anemia. Then start the treatment, once the Hemoglobin is back to normal then consider the surgery