5 Months Post-Op Implants Have Bottomed Out, Should I Have to Pay to Revise?

I had implants 4/11, I am 5 months post op, and noticed a gradual "drooping" between 3 & 5 months post op as well as awful stretch marks....my surgeon recommended the 500-550 cc implants, I was hesitant.... but now they feel to have bottomed out... when I lay down they are at my armpit, and even with a bra barely have top cleavage or fullness. My next PO visit is in November... Should I call with my concern or wait till PO. Should I have to pay for repair?? I'm very upeset and unhappy with this

+2

Thanks for the posted photos. One issue is your degree of unhappiness, if you can not "live" with this result than your only option is revision. But exactly what to do in a revision is very hard to advise over the internet. Decrease implant size, means a new smaller pair, like 400 cc. Close the inferior pocket takes operative time. Doing a lift may leave scars externally. So you see you have many concerns and need in person explanations. As for fees, best for you the think you will have to pay for the new implants, anesthesia fees, facility fees but not the surgeon's fee. 

Your implants are too big for your breast tissue

+2

The reason for the stretch marks and bottoming out is the size of the implants. You breast tissue could not support the size and weight of the implants. You will need to down size to smaller implants and repair the pockets .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant Malposition Correction

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I believe you will benefit from the revisionary surgery which will involve capsulorrhaphy of the inferior and lateral breast implant pockets. This procedure involves internal sutures to close off the inferior and side aspects of each breast implant pocket avoiding the bottoming out and side movement of the breast implants (when you lie down).

I would suggest you continue to communicate with your surgeon in a calm and nonaccusatory fashion.  It is likely that he/she will want to keep his/her  patient happy and work with you in regards to the financial arrangements.

Unhappy with outcome from breast augmentation

+1

Your photos are helpful to some extent except it would have been helpful to see your preoperative photo as well. This could have helped with providing you with a more accurate answer. Nevertheless, your implants are somewhat large for your frame and the larger and, therefore, heavier the implant the greater the risk and extent of drooping. An examination would be necessary to assess the full nature of your problem including the pocket size.

Clearly, you would need a revision and should downsize on the implant. Costs and related issues are between you and your surgeon. You should contact him/her and express your concern and request an earlier follow-up visit.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Implant Revision

+1

I agree, the breast implants look too large for your body.  We do not know what conversations took place with your surgeon and we do not see any pre-op photos, so it is hard to recommend anything.  However, for the most natural looking result, I would recommend removal of the existing implants and exchange to smaller ones.  You would also need a mastopexy (breast lift at the same time), but I suspect that you would have needed this for the original surgery as well.  But, once again, we do not see pre-op photos and do not know what the decision making process was for the original surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD