Breast Lift

I want to have a breast lift done but I have been looking at a lot of the women on this site and there's a few things that concern me. 1. What causes the dog ears or gathering on the bottom edges of the breast? Can they be fixed? 2. Does the gathering on the sides when they are stitched up go away and lay flat? 3. Why do some of the breast look square? Do they round out as they heal?

Breast Lift

+2

Dog ears are never much of a problem.  In addition, there should not be a lot of gathering.   The square look is typically the result of technique, or, in rare cases, an extremely poor breast and skin envelope.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Lift and Dog Ears? Square looking breasts?

+1

Dear Ladie,

Thank you for your question.  Dog ears are the result of not advancing the skin over far enough, as is a square looking breast.  However, without an augmentation at the same time, you will generally not have upper pole fullness (fullness to the top of the breast) which may be why you may be disappointed in the results.  This link is an example of augmentation with lift.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy results vary

+1

but dog ears can result and fortunately, they are easy to remove at a revision down the road so you need to know your doctor's revision policy and what fees are involved.  As for boxy breasts, they do round out as they settle as most doctors take photos 2-3 months following the procedure.  Photos of prior patients do not guarantee the result you seek... so know how your surgeon manages issues that you raise.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift issues

+1

Dog ears can develop laterally especially in women with prominent fat rolls along the lateral chest. As for gathering of the skin, this usually settles if it is performed. Boxiness can happen for some patients and in some cases occurs when too  much skin is removed.

Breast lift procedure

+1

I think there are a lot of breast lift techniques available and you need to familiarize yourself with the differences that each plastic surgeon may perform.  I personally utilize a mini - transverse scar (on the bottom of the breast) that does not leave "dog ears" or gatherings on the "side" as you describe above. In some cases with extreme weight loss, it may be necessary to have incisions along the side but in most cases they should "lay flat" when healed completely.  Some techniques can leave a "boxy" shape to the breast and the breast has to 'settle' into its eventual shape which can take time. Other techniques, such as the one that I utilize, result in a rounder and well projected shape to the breast which is noticeable after the surgery. I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS