Anchor Incision Only Option for G Cup Breast Reduction?

I was told by a doctor that someone with breasts as large as mine (~34G) is not eligible for anything other than the anchor procedure for breast reduction that leaves many breasts looking a bit flat. Is this true?

Breast Reduction Technique?

+1

Based on your description only I think your plastic surgeon is  probably correct.  if you are in doubt a 2nd opinion may be indicated.

Breast reduction incisions

+1

If you have extremely larger breasts and then also alof ot excess skin the best procedure for you may very well be an anchor incision technique, but without an exam I could not be certain.

Breast reduction

+1

It sounds like you are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. You should be aware though of the scars involved which usually heal well with time. You may want to go to my website and watch a complete video of me doing a reduction.

There are several options depending on how your breasts look and how small you wish to go. Even liposuction can be performed.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Larger breast reductions can have pretty shape

+1

When considering breast reduction there are 2 separate issues.  One is the management of the skin and how much must be removed and the second is the management of extra breast tissue.The anchor pattern scar is necessary when a lot of skin needs to be removed.  The management of the breast tissue itself is separate and the surgeon can take steps to shape the breast so it does not have a boxy appearance.  In addition, the use of a superior pedicle will help avoid a boxy shape.  Whether or not a superior pedicle can be used depends on the amount of weight that is going to be removed.  Typically superior pedicles are used for small and medium reductions but some surgeons will use it for larger reductions as well.  A boxy appearance can also result if the skin resection leaves more skin than is necessary.  These issues can be managed and you can have a very pretty, non-boxy appearance of the breast.  Hope this helps. 

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Very Large Breast Size Limits Use of Short Scar Breast Reduction incision Option

+1

The Short Scar Breast Reduction / Breast Lift lifts cannot be nicely done in the very large breasts. The resulting breast shape is just not as attractive. In these cases, surgeons are largely limited to the use of Inverted T / Anchor incision procedures.

Anchor Scar breast reductions and a well projecting final breast shape can be accomplished.

+1

I would have to agree that your size Breast Reduction will be best performed with the removal of a pattern of skin that will result in an anchor shaped scar. However, this type of skin pattern does not obligate you to a flattened breast shape. The final breast shape is also very much a product of how the surgeon chooses to remove the internal breast tissue both in quantity and location. In other words, the shape is not dependent solely on the type of skin pattern removed. You can still expect a well projecting final breast shape even with a anchor scar pattern.

David A. Ross, MD

Flat shape can be avoided after G cup breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

1)  You (and your plastic surgeon) need to separate what the scar of a breast reduction looks like from how the operation is done on the inside.

2)  It is true that, generally, for breasts as large as yours, so much skin has to be removed that you end up with anchor scars.

3)  The important point is not to rely on tightening the skin to shape the breasts, because this will lead to boxy, flat breasts.  The breast tissue itself has to be shaped internally and vertically,  as if you would have a lollipop scar.  The vertical breast reduction produces good long term shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Anchor-pattern breast reduction for large breasts

+1

The anchor pattern breast reduction is best for women with a substantial amount of excess breast skin to deal with during breast reduction surgery. When well executed, the anchor-pattern reduction can result in a lifted, perky breast with a nice shape. The woman in this example had an anchor pattern reduction. (See web link)

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Anchor-pattern is probably your only option

+1

Given your extremely large breasts, an anchor pattern skin incision is almost certainly your best option. Any shorter scar approach would leave you with a significant amount of redundant skin, that ultimately would leave the breasts with a misshapen appearance. I am a big proponent of shorter scar breast reductions in patients with smaller breasts than you - unfortunately, though, it's nearly impossible for you to get a great result with such an approach.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Anchor scar best for good shape with G cup breast reduction

+1

There is always a trade-off between the scar and the shape with breast reduction, and the options become more limited the larger the breasts. I do not believe however that the anchor, or standard pattern, flattens the breast. It is actually the most versatile in terms of fine-tuning the shape in my experience. With a G-cup, it is clearly your best choice.

Richard Baxter, MD