Are Vicryl Sutures Common for Anchor Mastopexy?

Do you think there are better sutures aside from Vicryl to use for an anchor mastopexy? Why or why not? What are the benefits of some of the common suture materials for anchor mastopexy?

Vicryl sutures for anchor mastopexy

+1

Vicryl is a commonly used suture.  It is flexible and absorbable.  They have a tendency to spit now and then.  Plastic Surgeons sometimes use different types of suture.  for example Monocryl is absorbable.  It is a little less flexible, but spits a bit less.  It is really up to the surgeon's preference and what is available at that surgery center.  Feel free to speak with your plastic surgeon about it.

Suture Type for Mastopexy?

+1

Yes, vicryl  is one of the common sutures used for mastopexy surgery.  It is a soft, absorbable suture it generally does very well;  it does occasionally “spit”  causing a temporary problem at the skin surface ( discharge, redness…). Monocryl  is a monofilament  absorbable suture that is also commonly used.

Generally, although many patients and surgeons spend a lot of time talking about specific suture type,  surgeon experience and skill play more important of a role in determining success of surgical procedures.

Suture for breast lift

+1

There are many different types of sutures to use in surgery. Vicryl is just one of them.  I tend to use more monocryl myself.

Better sutures than Vicryl avoid spitting and wound healing difficulties

+1

Vicryl is a strong suture that is braided and resorbable. It is commonly used by general surgeons and for uses deep in the body. When Vicryl is used on the skin you can experience problems such as the skin breaking down and the suture working its way out. This is one reason why surgeons avoid Vicryl and use other sutures that do not cause these types of problems. If you're concerned with this, discuss this with your plastic surgeon and ask him or her if there are other options that they may use. Before committing to an anchor mastopexy, visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with periareolar and circumvertical lift techniques. In our practice, 95% of our patients have the periareolar or circumvertical breast lift. It is the rare patient these days that needs an anchor mastopexy. These limited incision breast lift techniques can produce great results and avoid the boxy appearance of an anchor mastopexy and all the extra scarring that an anchor mastopexy will cause.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Vicryl is an excellent suture

+1

Over the years, if you laid end to end all of the vicryl suture I have used to close breast incisions, I am sure it would go to the moon and back.  Except for the occasional spiting in areas of thin skin, the suture has been a workhorse for me and works beautifully.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Vicryl is fine, except right under the skin.

+1

Hi!

This is a pretty technical small point that you are asking about, so I wonder what you really are trying to find out. Make sure you trust your surgeon!

To answer your question, we need a suture that dissolves in a few weeks. Vicryl does that job well, except right under the skin. It can tend to work its way out through the skin, so here we use another suture like Monocryl which doesn't cause this reaction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Vicryl is a good, commonly used suture

+1

Vicryl is often used for all kinds of breast procedures. It is a widely used absorbable suture. Another suture, called monocryl, is also often used. There are other sutures as well.

All work fine. The choice of suture is mainly surgeon dependent.

Honestly, the type of suture used has minimal influence on the outcome of the result. It really doesn't matter. What matters is the surgeon. A good surgeon is good because they use the instruments, materials, sutures and techniques in the best possible way.

Research your doctor. Make sure they are board certified. Have a consultation with them. Look at their before and afters. This will ensure you will have a great result. Asking the surgeons what kind of sutures they use is fine. However, the answer will have absolutely no bearing on your result.

John Diaz, MD

Mastopexy Sutures

+1

Sutures are tools that a plastic surgeon uses and you would like him to use the tool with which he achieves the best results. Vicryl is true and tested and quite dependable as are other absorbable sutures. Some physicians are now begining to use the Quill sutures but more time and study needs to define if this has any advantage. Don't be afraid to ask your plastic surgeon which sutures he/she uses, why, and what the difference is. They should be happy to tell you why they choose one or the other.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Suture choice for breast lift

+1

Suture choice for skin closure really depends on the preference of your surgeon. Most of us use absorbable sutures for long skin closures (tummy tuck, anchor breast lift, etc) and vicryl is a reasonable choice. It ties nicely and is soft. I prefer monocryl, which is a monofilament suture. I think it "spits" less (sometimes sutures find their way to the skin surface before they are absorbed) than vicryl, but it is more palpable while it is intact. (ie: if you feel along the incision, your fingers will note firmness where the sutures are more with monocryl compared with vicryl.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Vicryl sutures

+1

Patty,

I assume the reason you are asking is that you had issues with such sutures.

The past majority of Plastic surgeons use either Vicryl (treated or not), PDS or Monocryl sutures. All three sutures are dissolving, nonpermanent sutures. While Vicryl ties best, it has a higher "spitting rate" (when superficial, the knots are sometimes exposed and can be easily removed). The other two sutures are smooth, tie less well and have slightly more palpable knots but have less spitting.

Personally, I use Vicryl and PDS (longer lasting) in deep layers and Monoceryl in the superficial layers. BUT, each surgeon has his/her preferences and I would NOT blame the suture for the complication.

Hope this helped.