Is Anchor Blepharoplasty Considered an Effective an Safe Option for Excess Upper Eyelid Fat and Skin?

Hi, I am considering getting surgery in Malaysia, by a surgeon who's results I have seen on a patient who recieved upper and lower blepaharoplasty. I have been in touch with him and sent photos and he suggested that I get anchor blepharoplasty. Is this safe and effective? Is it the same as threading - as I have read about threading on this site and it dosent sound too good. I have always had quite fat upper lids and dont want to get rid of them completley with full blepharoplasty. I am 33.

Blepharoplasty: See a Local Expert

+3

There are excellent Blepharoplasty experts in Melbourne who can provide you with consultation to address your concerns, determine if surgery is appropriate, and, if so, what technique might be best for you.

Access to an expert before surgery is important for proper evaluation and helping you best choose the right answer for your concerns.

Access to that same expert after surgery is critical to be sure you are getting the optimal results from your procedure and to minimize complications.

I advise you see one or two local respected experts, rather than shop long distance.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Anchor blepharoplasty for upper eyelids? Just say NO!

+3

Your photograph shows normal and youthful eyelids. You do have sub-brow fullness laterally, but if you look carefully at photographs of models and actresses your age, you will see this is normal and NOT at all "fat!"

Aside from the fact that you plan to travel to have this surgery (not recommended as there are wonderful plastic surgeons in Melbourne), you are seeking "solutions" for a "problem" that in my humble opinion does not exist!

If I saw you in my office I would attempt to dissuade you from any kind of blepharoplasty, I would absolutely restrain you from considering any kind of thread lift procedure (don't work frequently, don't last, and often have problems!), and I would try to find out what might have caused an attractive young woman with beautiful eyes to think she needs cosmetic surgery at all! Trust me; this is the best advice you will receive: Just say NO!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Upper Blepharoplasty with Threads?

+3

To be quite honest, I think that your upper eyelids are youthful and attractive. I am not sure about your aesthetic goals, but we here in New England like full upper lids as they are a sign of  pleasant vibrance.

On a side note, I do not know what anchor blepharoplasty means...  Always keep in mind though, that it is an improved and refreshed look we seek, not a specific procedure... Best of luck.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+2

Stick with someone in Australia. It usually is best to stay local so that if problems develop you have someone who can provide continuity of care.

Anchor blepharoplasty for the Asian eyelid

+2

Anchor blepharoplasty is a technique used in many variations to create a lid fold in the Asian eyelid. The anchor refers to attaching the skin and muscle of the upper lid to the tarsus to fix the fold. Such procedures date back to the early 1950's, and there are surgical techniques as well as thread or suture techniques to fix the fold. I can understand how a surgeon in Malaysia would suggest anchor blepharoplasty, however if you are not Asian the goal and result is ambiguous at best. I would stay home.

peterejohnsonmd

In the best of circumstances, blepharoplasty is subtractive surgery.

+2

Dear Flipc

Dr. Flechner makes a very good point.  Of course neither of us have the benefit of a personal consultation with you.  You do have a full sub-brow area.  However full eyebrows are the fashion.  When upper blepharoplasty is performed to reduce the upper eyelid fold, there will be less incentive for you to lift your eyebrows and they will further relax down.  The anchor blepharoplasty has nothing to do with eyelid treading which is a quick and dirty method of making a double fold.  You have a double fold already.  The purpose of the anchor blepharoplasty is that it anchors the eyelid platform skin (the skin between the upper eyelid crease and the upper eyelid lashes) to the levator aponeurosis, the tendon structure that transmits the motion of the levator palpebrae superioris muscle, which opens the upper eyelid, to the upper eyelid margin.  By tying the eyelid platform skin to the levator in this fashion one simultaneously forms a hard eyelid crease and support the eyelid platform skin and upper eyelid lashes.  This tension smooths the upper eyelid platform skin and makes the upper eyelid lashes perky.  

However, aethetically, I think that you would do much better with a forehead lift and leave your upper eyelid alone.  I assume you are considering a surgeon in Malaysia because they are cheaper than Australian surgeons.  This might prove to be a false economy.  A bad upper eyelid surgery cannot be fixed.

Blepharoplasty is a common procedure done well by surgeons in Melbourne

+2
I will start by saying that I have no idea what an anchor lift is relative to the eyelids. I also wonder How a surgeon looking at photographs only can accurately plan an aesthetic surgical procedure. I assume you write from Australia where there are many highly trained and qualified plastic surgeon. Why would you trust your face and vision to a surgeon who believes surgery scheduled over photographs is safe and appropriate management?

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Risks with Surgery Abroad

+1

Anchor blepharoplasty is designed to give you a crease or fold on the upper eyelids and is commonly done on Asians since they commonly don't have a fold.  I recommend for you to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area like the other plastic surgeons have stated you want to be able to follow-up with your surgeon after the procedure in case anything does go wrong or even to just have continued care after. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Anchor Blepharoplasty? Please Beware

+1

As a general rule, medical tourism for the sake of saving a few bucks is a risky gamble.  I am sure you will find a very qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Occuloplastic Surgeon in Melbourne who will listen to your concerns. More importantly, based on your photo, I am not sure that an "anchor" Blepharoplasty or any form of eyelid surgery will benefit you.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon