Can Neck Muscles Tighten Up As a Side Effect of Botox in Forehead?

I have received 25 units of botox only in my forehead area every 3 months for the past 1 1/2 year. About six months ago the muscles in my neck started to get stiff and tighten up I was having trouble swallowing and saw the ENT after several exams stating everything is normal I continued to wonder what is causing the muscle tightness around my neck and more so since my last treatment 3 months ago. I recently read about the side effects of botox, Could this be a side effect? Thank you

Neck muscles are tight, is this a side effect of Botox

+1

No, this is not a side effect for cosmetic uses of Botox, which would be 20-50 units usually. While Botox has been reported to create issues with swallowing or such, that is NOT for cosmetic Botox purposes or injection placement. There would be no issues with treatment in your forehead and tightness in your neck. The two are unrelated.

Muscle tightening after Botox

+1

We don't think so it should not have that effect on the neck. botox is used to relax the muscle not tighten it.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Neck Muscle Tightening Should Not Be Related to Botox Injections in Forehead

+1

Hi aaa,   Your symptoms do not appear to be due to your Botox treatments.  If your symptoms continue you should see your internal medicine physician, or consult with a neurologist.  Let your injecting physician know about your symptoms as well.  Good luck and be well.   Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Can Botox Cause Muscle Tightness?

+1

Hi AAA.  Botox causes the opposite of muscle tightness, it causes the muscles to relax.  There should be no connection between your Botox and the issue you have in the neck.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD