Anaesthetic to Remove Broken Dental Implant Abutment Screw?

Is it usual to be given a local anaesthetic to attempt to remove a broken dental implant abutment screw? Is it anticipated that there will be the experience of pain during the procedure? I thought that the removal had to be done very carefully without pressure being exerted?

Anesthetic Needed?

To removed a broken abutment screw may require the drilling of the crown off as well.  Your dentist is just trying to prevent pain in the area during this process.   If the crown moves during removal it may pinch your gum tissue causing pain.  I would agree that a anesthetic would be beneficial for your procedure.  You can always opt out and ask for if needed.

San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Need for anesthetic

This is an atromatic procedure so you should not need any unless it is recommended by your dentist.

Do you need local to remove implant screw?

In many cases you would not need local for screw removal talk to your dentist sometimes we feel patient is less nervous when given local good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Dentist

Anestheitc to remove an implant abutment screw

I agree with the other poster, usually anesthetic is NOT required if it is only to remove the abutment screw.  The fixture is an entirely different situation altogether.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

Anesthetic to Remove Broken Screw

usually anesthetic is NOT required if it is only to remove the abutment screw. If the implant fixture itself has to be removed, that's a whole different story!