Is This the Normal Amount of Botox Generally Used For This Area?

I have had Botox - Mouth - upper lip lines The consultant I use has used 16 by 6 injections 100u then I have a top up in a month of 6 injections = 30u. Is that a normal amount for this area.

Botox units vary

The amount of Botox used for each patient varies.   There is no cookie cutter approach.  Please talk to your Botox provider about your concerns.

4185 Technology Forest Blvd.
The Woodlands, TX 77831

Botulinum toxin for upper lip lines

Botox, Dysport or Xeomin used for upper lip lines is an off-label use. usually for botox it might be 4 or 6 units for the upper lip and slightly less for the lower. Even if a physician used more, then 8 units for the upper lip might be considered maximum. I'm not sure if you had Dysport which might take 24 units, but 100 units would absolutely be excessive for just the upper lip and would cause such flattening and lowering of the upper lip that normal functions of speech and eating/drinking, brushing one's teeth and smiling would be impossible.

Please confirm with your doctor that you have the units correct.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Botox around the mouth area

Usually the amount of botox used around the mouth area is fairly small - e.g. 4-10 units.

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC

Toronto Dermatology Centre

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

4256 Bathurst St.
Toronto , ON M3H 5Y8

Botox dosages

100 units around the mouth does not sound right.  I will often use 4-8 units total.  Please check with your doctor. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

351 Evelyn Street
Paramus, NJ 07652

Botox Around the Mouth

Botox can be used effectively around the mouth to soften smokers or kissing lines, improve gummy smiles and ever correct the down turned corners of the mouth. 100 U seems like an excessive amount to use for these purposes. I would check with your physician and verify this is the amount they used.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

12319 North MoPac Expressway
Austin, TX 78758

Botox to lips

I think 100 units of Botox to the areas you describe sounds very high. Review it again with your doctor.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Botox for upper lip and mouth

I do not use much Botox for peri-oral or lip injections and 100 units of Botox just in the lips is well above standard practice and I would be surprised if you did not develop disfigurement due to such a high dose.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

1000 Plain Street
Marshfield , Massachusetts 02050

Botox around the mouth

It is very difficult to answer your question without further clarification, however, injecting a small amount (between 2 to 8 units) in the upper lip and/or lower lip does help relax that area.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Small amounts of Botox can be useful for vertical lip lines

Botox in very small doses is effective at treating fine to moderate upper lip lines. One or two units in each quadrant of the lips (2 injections in upper lip and 2 injections in lower lip) is all that is needed. Since you need the lip muscle to eat, speak, etc., I would hesitate to use higher doses. 100u and 30 u that you mentioned seem incredibly high, and I wonder if you misinterpreted the amount or type of product that was injected. Since the amount of Botox that can be used is limited, I often combine Botox with laser resurfacing and fillers to maximize results.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

1001 Chesterfield Pkwy E
St. Louis, MO 63017

Botox for upper lips

Hi Ingram!

Your questions raised questions on my part too.  Botox is delivered in units to a particular muscle.  The upper lip needs only 4-8 units per visit.  Above that will make the entire upper lip so flat that social movement is impossible.  You might challenge your current injector as to the units of Botox used and hold them to that.  A unit of Botox should run $12-15 if it is true Botox Cosmetic from Allergan.  That is the only product I trust and inject in my office.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

800 Pollard Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032