Amount of Tissue to Be Reduced?

Hello, I am a 52 year old female. I am 68 inches tall and weigh approximatelyy 180. I recently went to see a plastic surgeon for reduction. I am 38DDD depending on the brand. I can go up to an F cup. I wanted to verify how much tissue will need to be removed.

How much of a reduction?

+1

If your procedure is being covered by your insurance, they will have guidelines as to how much tissue must be removed to qualify for coverage.  Once this is determined, your surgeon should be able to determine whether you will easily meet this.  Once this is determined, then you can decide if you wish to be aggressive to achieve a smaller size or conservative to help you maintain as much tissue as possible.  You should have an active role in this process. 

If yours is a cosmetic procedure, you decide on just how much tissue you want removed.

Breast Reduction Tissue Removal Reduces Symptoms

+1
Symptoms from enlarged breast can be improved with removal of as little as 150 grams of breast tissue.  How much tissue is removed is based on your examination, its distribution and your desired final size.  You should discuss size concerns with your surgeon before surgery.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tissue removed during breast reduction

+1

The amount of tissue removed during breast reduction is dependent on many factors. Are the breasts dense or fatty, how large or small do you ultimately wish to be and how the large the breasts are to begin with are just a few.

Maintaining a beautiful breast at the end of the procedure is always of paramount importance. Maintaining proprotion with the rest of your body is critical as well.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and understand your goals. Look at post operative photos to understand the results which can be achieved.

Communicate clearly with your surgeon and make sure the surgeon communicates clearly with you.good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Amount of Tissue to be Removed with Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although online consultants will not be able to answer your question about the amount of tissue that should be removed with your breast reduction surgery, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon and make sure that you have realistic expectations prior to proceeding with any type of surgery. In regards to breast size desired, also communicate carefully. In my practice the use of goal pictures are helpful in this regard; a discussion of cup size can be confusing and imprecise.   Therefore, I would not suggest that you communicate your goals and/or base your satisfaction with the outcome of surgery on achieving a specific cup size.

I also find that the use of pictures is more helpful than the words “natural” or "proportionate” etc., which can mean different things to different people.
Many of my patients choose to have enough breast tissue removed to help alleviate symptoms while retaining enough breast tissue to remain proportionate to the remainder of  bare torso. Again, preoperative communication will be critical.

Amount of Breast Tissue to Remove for a Breast Reduction

+1

Unfortunately, there is no formula or calculation that can be done to determine how much tissue to remove in order to achieve a certain breast size. Since each woman's breasts are different, with varying amounts of fat and glandular tissue, and since each bra company differs in their sizes of bra cup dimensions - predicting exact bra size after breast reduction surgery is possible. 

Your surgeon will need to remove enough breast tissue to improve your symptoms but yet leave enough so that the nipple and areola have a good blood supply. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Amount of Tissue to Be Reduced?

+1

Your answer can only be obtained after an examination by an experienced plastic surgeon, and even then it is nothing more than an educated Guesstimate until after the tissue is removed and weighed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Candidate for a breast reduction

+1

The only way to verify how much breast tissue will be removed at the time of a breast reduction is with a physical examination.  It is important to understand that this is only an estimation base on your plastic surgeon's personal experience.  Unfortunately the insurance use a combination of your height and weight as well as this estimate to determine coverage for a breast reduction when they should really concentrate on symptoms.  It appears from your description that you would be candidate for a reduction.  

Breast reduction volume

+1

Insurance companies all have different criteria for reduction volume based upon yoru height and weight. Hard to tell you what will leave you with a nice shape without an  exam.

Breast Reduction Amount of Tissue Removed

+1

Plastic surgeons estimate the breast reduction resection weight in the office based upon physical exam and patient request.  The insurance companies have criteria for the minimum weight of tissue to remove.  The weight varies by company and typically follow either a 400g for less than 130 pounds, 500g for less than 200 pounds, and 600g for over 200 pounds.  Other insurance companies use the Schnur sliding scale which is based on a body surface area calculation.  Call your insurance company and consult again with your plastic surgeon.  Also ask to see before and after photos of a similar body type to your own.  Good luck!

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Volume of Tissue Removed in Breast Reduction

+1

Your question is unclear. How much breast tissue needs to be removed is influenced by numerous factors such as insurance standards for payment and what cup size a patient wants to be. You would need to clarify why you are asking the tissue removal question. In addition, without pictures and measurements no breast tissue removal question can be accurately answered.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD