Pain Expectations for a Breast Augmentation / Nipple Lift?

I am a candidate for a BA and very much want to go thru with it but what scares me is the amount of pain during recovery; I undrstand meds are given but just enuf to 'dull' things. I've never had kids, never broken a bone, only surgery I've had is wisdom teeth extraction which wasn't painful. I kno everyone tolerates pain difrently, but how bad have past patients said the pain is during the recovery process? What pains are expected? Which days are worst? I very much need this surgery.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
The first week is really sore, it feels like you just had the biggest chest workout of your life, the next week is more of a nuissance 

Pain after Breast Surgery?

+1

Generally, breast augmentation is a very well tolerated procedure.  Most patients require pain medication and help from family and friends for the first 2 to 4 days after surgery.  The use of narcotics,  muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories makes it so that most patients have smooth recovery periods.

I also  like using long acting local anesthesia  during the procedure to allow for a comfortable recovery period.

Pain Expectations After Breast Augmentation

+1

You shouldn’t let the fear of pain deter you from having breast augmentation. In general this is not a terribly painful procedure. Of course this will vary depending on individual patient tolerance and the surgical technique used. Usually augmentation with implants placed under muscle (subpectoral) is a little more painful than with implants placed above muscle (subglandular). With use of modern techniques to carefully release muscle fibers under direct vision when creating the implant pocket, there should be minimal bleeding with subpectoral breast augmentation, which will result in minimal post-op pain. The quality of pain is that of muscle soreness and pressure. Some patients require no narcotic pain medication at all. Most will use the prescription medication regularly from one to three days after surgery, but rarely longer than that. I ask my patients to rest for two days and after that, encourage them to resume regular activities and light exercise. They must limit reaching, stretching and lifting for two weeks after surgery. Although not usually necessary, it is possible for your surgeon to place an infusion pump and catheters during surgery. These devices automatically infuse local anesthetic medication into the surgical sites for up to several days following the procedure, minimizing post-op pain and the need for narcotic medication.

Max Polo, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

It is normal to fear pain after breast augmentation. Pain is normal and is generally well controlled with oral narcotics and valium. Pain is varriable after surgery and depends on the size of implant, incision, and plane of disection. Millions of women have done it and I am sure if you can tolerate wisdom teeth removal then you can tolerate breast augmentation.

good luck,

Leo Lapuerta Jr MD FACS

Triple Board Certified SUrgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

What kind of pain to expect after breast augmentation

+1

Most patients experience pressure and tightness after breast implant surgery-if the implants are placed under the pectoral muscle.  Valium or Flexeril can help reduce this discomfort significantly.  There may also be some incisional pain which is well treated with Vicodin.  Usually after about three days, patients only need to take Tylenol.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

Every patient will perceive pain differently.  You will feel a tightness and a heaviness in the chest wall.  Its been described like an elephant sitting on your chest.  Follow the advice of your plastic surgeon and you will get through it. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Pain

+1

Breast augmentation causes pain because of the stretching of the muscle above the implant. it is often described as the fullness one fells before her period or when engorged during nursing, How much pain you perceive relates to the size of the implant relative to your frame, the tightness of dressings, and your perception of pain.

Postoperative pain can be reduced by injecting a long-acting local anesthesia around the breast outline, by using pain pumps, and by adding a muscle relaxer to your post-operative narcotics. It is important to treat your pain before it becomes unmanageable. Early movement and gently massage will help you recover faster.

Normally, the worst of the pain is over in a few days.

Karen Vaniver, MD

A FEW DAYS....VERY TOLERABLE

+1

Most patients fear the pain they will have to endure after this surgery, but my experience wiht my patients is 3-5 days of discomfort. You will be prescribed pain medication to help deal with any discomort. Most patients expressed that the first day after surgery was the worst, but then it got easier from there.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD