Is an american surgeon better than a brazilian surgeon?

I am needing a revision rhinoplasty and I have been referred to a brazilian doctor in brazil by a friend of mine who is a doctor. He has a private clinic with his father as well as his brother. He is chief of the university of sao paulo which is the largest school in south america. Most of his work is revision rhinoplasty referred to him by previous surgeons who have had complications. I am nervous and confused. I have spoken with him and he has seen me via skype and feels he can help me. ?????

Brazil vs. US

+1

If you live in Brazil then have your surgery there but if you live in US you are better off with a surgeon here since rhinoplasty requires long-term follow-up

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

American vs Brazilian Surgeon

+1

There are excellent surgeons in both countries. However, if you live in the United States and there are post-operative problems of any kind, your return to Sao Paulo may not be convenient.

Great plastic surgeons

+1

I do not think it matters whether he is from Brazil or the US.  But, if you live in the US, what happens if you need further work or have a complicaiton that needs to be treated?

Brazil may be fine but it is important for you to stay as long or return as many times as is necessary.

+1

As Dr. Aldea states, your surgeon may be excellent. However, there are other issues that must be addressed. EVen the best of surgeons have to occasionally revise their own results. This is often required to obtain the best possible outcome. However, is this a possibility if you live here and he works there? Are you able to travel or stay there long enough to ensure adequate follow up? It frequently takes 6 months  to fully evaluate a nose. Will you be able to return for examination in the event you have questions. Once you embark on surgery, it is unlikely that a reptuable American surgeon will want to take on your case in the early post-operative period. 

Every country has Great Plastic Surgeons, Good Plastic Surgeons, Average Plastic Surgeons and BAD Plastic Surgeons

+1

Regarding: " Is an american surgeon better than a brazilian surgeon?  I am needing a revision rhinoplasty and I have been referred to a brazilian doctor in brazil by a friend of mine who is a doctor. He has a private clinic with his father as well as his brother. He is chief of the university of sao paulo which is the largest school in south america. Most of his work is revision rhinoplasty referred to him by previous surgeons who have had complications. I am nervous and confused. I have spoken with him and he has seen me via skype and feels he can help me. ?????"

Without posting the Brazilian surgeon's name we cannot advise you if he has a international reputation. Every country in the world has great, good, average and poor plastic surgeons. Due to its rigorous training, the US produces some of the top plastic surgeons in the world BUT it does not have exclusivity on Plastic Surgery excellence. Brazil has some phenomenal Plastic surgeons and if your surgeon is indeed as highly placed in Sao Paulo, he MUST he good.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea