Next time I have Voluma, should I ask the Doctor to massage after each injection so that I won't get lumps?

Two obvious lumps appreard under both eyes at the top of the cheek bone. Very disappointed. I did have one of the lumps disolved by the Doctor some what. I did not realize and was not told that Voluma can create lumps! Without the lumps it would be great!

Lumpiness after Voluma injection

+2
Lumpiness or unevenness after Voluma injection can occur.  This is especially true in thin patients.  Voluma is a somewhat tricky product to inject as it is less forgiving than some other products.  However, it can be smoothed with vigorous massage (if necessary, not as a matter of routine) and, as you noted, can be dissolved using hyaluronidase.  The best way to obtain excellent results is to be treated by an expert injector who is extremely experienced in the use of this product. 

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is important the injector feels the area to ensure it is smooth.

+1
Thank you for your question,

It is important the injector feels the area to ensure it is smooth. Lumps can appear after the injection despite massage, if this happens schedule a follow up with the injector to discuss treatment options. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lumps after Voluma

+1
We do perform massage after voluma and instruct patients how to do so. In your case, I would recommend that you consult your injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lumps from Voluma

+1
If you have a result you are unhappy with I would suggest you discuss this with your dermatologist as they are some options to attempt to correct. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma filler and facial massage

+1
We do a facial massage after all mid facial Voluma and Sculptra filler treatments - our results are smoother and patients are happy !

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Lumps from Voluma

+1
Voluma, made from hyaluronic acid, is cross-linked to be thick.
For this reason, it always has to be felt after injection and smoothed with light pressure if needed. 
Cannula injection helps greatly with injections around the eyes and where bruising is likely.
Doctors and others doing injections may not understand how to do injections properly.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lumps after Volume is doctor related not product related

+1
Having lumps aftrr Voluma is caused by the injector. Don't blame the product. Sometimes massaging will help but not always. I always use cannulas for this and don't get lumps. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lump after Voluma

+1
Technically, any filler can produce lumps depending on how and where it's injected, and more importantly, based on the experience of the injector. Massaging will not always help because it can move filler into undesired locations, so no, that's not necessarily what you want done. An experienced injector will know how and where and what technique to use for proper injection.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lumps after Juvederm Voluma

+1
Juvederm Voluma is FDA approved for volumization and enhancement of the cheek area. It is injected deep into the tissues, just on top of the bone. When injected correctly in this area it should not cause any lumps. It is possible that you had the filler either placed too superficially, or in an incorrect area. This is why it's important to choose an experienced injector when deciding to get these treatments.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon