Would botox or jaw shaving surgery work best to make my jaw look less rectangular?

I want my face to look less rectangular and not as long. I think it would look better if the angle of my jaw started higher, and if I had a more triangular shape to my lower face. I'm afraid trying botox for the jaw could make it look narrow in the wrong places, and contribute to the long look of my face. What would you recommend, and do any doctors even do jaw shaving near the DC area?

Botox to the masseter muscle is an excellent way to soften the jawline.

+1
Botox to the masseter muscle is an excellent way to soften the jawline. You can always start with the minimum dosage and increase for a more dramatic effect.

Fix the shape with volume in your cheeks

+1
I would suggest increasing the width of your cheeks with fat grafts or Voluma. A more long lasting and artistic approach I believe. Thanks for your question.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the Jaw Muscle

+1
Based on your photo, I think you would be very happy with some Botox in the biting muscle (masseter).  It takes a fair amount of Botox, usually around 30-50 units per side.  The effects last longer than some of the other places we use Botox and can work for 6 months or longer.  Your biting strength may decrease slightly, but you generally won't notice any difference.  Otherwise, the procedure is very safe and effective.  I would not recommend ever doing the jaw shaving procedure you had mentioned.    

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and the Jaw

+1
You would do great with a little botox into each masseter (the muscle along the posterior jaw).  I do this daily and my patients love the results.  It lasts longer than botox into the facial muscles for wrinkles, typically 5-6 months.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Would botox or jaw shaving surgery work best to make my jaw look less rectangular

+1
First, let me start by saying you have a very pretty face, and I would not suggest you shave your jaw.  I believe a bit of Botox into the muscle will relax that.  But, there is something else I would like you to think about.  Adding a bit of fullness to your cheek area would give your face a more heart shaped look...less angular.  Many times, when the cheek area is flatter, the face will look long.  Just a thought.

You look great the way you are...but if you want a thinner face...

+1
there's no question that you always go for the least invasive and safest procedure and one that's associated with little or no downtime...in this case it's a slam dunk...you want botox to your masseters...works great and your back to doing what you want in an instant...

Ken Landow, MD

Prominent jaw

+1
I would recommend Botox first.  Jaw shaving is a more permanent solution, but you should get a idea if you like the narrowing first.  If Botox is placed correctly, you should have a nice result.  We do the jaw shaving intra-orally with good results.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD