Am I a Candidate for Tumescent Abdominal Lipo if I'm 72 Years Old?

Age is just a number....

+1

Hi there-

There is no age limit beyond which liposuction would not be safe or effective in removing fat...

On the other hand, as the goal is not usually just to remove fat, but to have the patient achieve a better appearance, the changes in your skin and body that are related to the aging process may indicate that you are better off with an alternative option.

The only way to know would be to see you for a consultation and an examination.

A word of caution- there are now a great many "practitioners" claiming expertise in liposuction, and injuries and deaths are mounting. In the right hands, liposuction should be among the safest procedures we do- be sure your surgeon is Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#699

Liposuction Candidate at 72?

+1

Whether you are a good candidate for liposuction your age will depend on your history and physical examination. If you are in general good health this will be a good starting point.

Good skin elasticity is also an important  attribute  of the patient undergoing liposuction surgery. As we age or gain/lose weight we generally  lose some skin elasticity. After the liposuction procedure we are depending on the skin elasticity to allow the skin envelope to “shrink” to fit the reduced contour resulting from the liposuction procedure.

It will be in your best interests to seek in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction.htm

Tumescent liposuction can be done at most any age in a healthy patient.

+1

At 72, if you are healthy and your doc clears you for the procedure taking in mind your meds etc..  then go for it.  The oldest patient I have done tumescent liposuction on is 87.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo at 72

+1

Liposuction works to remove fat from the subcutaneous plane.  While this can really be performed on almost anyone, to maintain a good contour there is a yin/yang thing going on.  Too much fat removal in anyone may cause more skin laxity.  So the older one is and the more fat needed to  be removed, usually means the more skin laxity.  I have done it in 60 year olds who may have been bettter off with a tummy tuck, but were happy with the results and surprisingly ( to me as well) had reasonable skin contraction results.

Liposuction of the abdomen for seniors

+1

Louise, a lot depends on you. First of all, you need to be in good health. Next, any medicines you take would need to be screened. Of course, you could not have liposuction if you are taking any blood thinners. Finally, the skin must be fairly tight or else the amount of fat taken out of the tummy could leave you with loose skin in that area.

After saying all that, I have done liposuction successfully on several people your age. There is an extra sense of excitement for everyone involved when we are able to help someone in their seventies have liposuction. Good luck.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon