What Are the Alternatives to Liposuction for Post-pregnancy Belly Fat?

Which procedures are less invasive than liposuction for the stomach area? Which of those do not involve incisions to get good results?

Body Contouring After Pregnancy

+1
Generally, women who are trying to recontour their midsection following pregnancy benefit more from a tummy tuck rather than liposuction. This is because there is often loose skin (and weakened muscles) that cannot be tightened with liposuction alone. In addition, nonsurgical methods of body contouring for the midsection cannot produce as predictable and dramatic results. However, if you still want to consider some nonsurgical alternatives, you can check out laser skin tightening and micro needling, as well as the other treatments my colleagues have suggested here.

Post-Partum abdominal laxity/protuberant belly

+1

The key word is "post-partum". It would be hihgly unsusal for a post-partum woman to be a candidate for a non-surgical approach to improving the contour of her abdomen after having children. The abdominal laxity is not just the excess skin and fat but more importantly the entire abdominal wall (muscles, etc). In this case a tummy tuck is indicated. Most patients will require a traditional tummy tuck whereas some may just require a min-tummy tuck. In addition, liposuction is frequently suggested to improve contour.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Laser Lipolysis Skin Tightening is an option

+1

Laser Lipolysis - such as Coolsculptin by Zeltiq or Exilis are both non-surgical options.  I would find a cosmetic surgeon in your area who offers 'skin tightening' procedures.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Nonsurgical options for weight reduction

+1

While it is difficult to determine without a photo, you may be a candidate for ZERONA®. Zerona is an FDA cleared alternative to liposuction, which reduces inches with no pain, no surgery and no downtime. Patients are losing between 3.6 to 5.5 inches and many are seeing even greater results when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program. 

It's the perfect way to lose stubborn body fat from: neck, love handles, arms, hips, back/bra‚Äźline, thighs, tummy/waistline and knees in this fast paced world we live in. After just six 40 minute treatments you will see inches melt away. And best of all, there is no recovery or downtime so you can resume all your normal activities immediately after each treatment.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Non-invasive abdominal procedures

+1

WIthout photos, it is hard to even suggest what would be best for you. Most post-partum women have some abdominal laxity especially if they gained alot of weight during pregnancy.  In this case a tummy tuck is helpful.  Non-invasive skin tightening systems will give about a 15-20% improvement if that much, this is what I tell my patients when I offer them this modality.

Diet and exercise is the only alternatives to lipo that show results for post partum belly fat.

+1

Liposuction is still the easiest and safest methods of fat removal when done under local anesthesia and gives consistent results for belly fat.  Diet and exercise goes without saying. I have not seen any appreciable long term results with any of the alternative fat removal systems.  I am hopeful that someday in the next 5-10 yrs something comes out that is a reliable alternative to surgery. Most likely it will be in pill form. Just my prediction. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Non invasive post partum contouring. Trunk

+1
There are a variety of non invasive methods to decrease fat volume and tighten skin . We had Zerona in our office which uses laser energy to liberate fat. I have personally had Thermage, a skin tightening technology too. When I checked pre and post treatment photos I could not see a change. There one theme I hear as I go to meetings discussing non invasive technologies is that the results are meager. All the technologies work but the results are rarely impressive. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon