What are alternatives to Fractional CO2 Resurfacing with less cost and down time?

I am 44 and have been getting the Fractional CO2 Resurfacing yearly for last 3 years. Due to cost and long down time, I am seeking an alternative maintenance regimen that produces comparable results. I was told a chemical peel a few times per year may be a good replacement. Thanks for any feedback.

Alternatives to Fractional CO2 resurfacing

+2
A number of alternatives exist to Fractional C02 resurfacing. The most optimal treatment option can be chosen, depending on your area of concern.  In my practice, I use Pixel Erbium Resurfacing, either alone, or in combination with the skin tightening and IPL technology (for pigment and redness). The nice thing about the Pixel Erbium is that it can be as aggressive or gentle as the patient wants. As collagen remodels a fresher, more youthful appearance develops.
The gentleness of the procedure allows delicate areas such as the neck, chest and hands to be treated as safely as the face with little risk of infection.

Other options are Plasma Resurfacing, using Nitrogen Plasma, a unique nonablative technology that works especially well around the eyes.

For patients hesitant to undergo a laser procedure, effective peels achieve excellent results, minimizing pore size, decreasing acne lesions, and resolving brown pigmentation.  An example of such peel is Vi - a new peel technology, with special formulations for acne, dark marks, or skin texture.  Downtime can vary from 4 to 7 days.

Hope this helps.

+2
CO2 lasers are ablative meaning that they actually remove some tissue. This creates not only the downtime but the significant levels of improvement seen with this device. With that said, a series of less invasive, non-ablative treatments will never result in the same amount of tightening as an ablative laser treatment. There are definite trade-offs between downtime and significant results. To see significant changes will require downtime whether you pursue an ablative laser, aggressive non-ablative laser treatments or medium/ deep depth chemical peels. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clear and Brilliant

+2
We offer patients the clear and Brilliant fraxel without any downtime-six treatments spaced apart 2-3 weeks will build a great foundation for thicker skin and smaller pore size and alleviating hyperpigmentation.  Our patients looove it!

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Other alernatives to CO2

+1
Erbium fractional resurfacing has significantly less downtime than CO2.  With downtime ranging from 2-5 days.  Another option that actually can help reverse the signs of skin aging as well as addressing the red and brown in the skin is BBL (Broad Band Light).  After a series of Erbium fractional resurfacing I recommend that my patients maintain with BBL treatments of at least 3 per year.   

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon