What Are Alternatives to Chin Implant? Can Chin Be Enlarged by Fillers and Which Fillers Would You Use?

Alternatives to chin implant

+1

A temporary chin implant with filler is a great way to get an idea of how a chin implant may look without taking the plunge for a permanent fix. Filler used depends on the preference of the surgeon. The result obtained will not be as effective as a permanent implant. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Chin Implant?

+1

wide variety of facial implants are currently available for the enhancement of the skeletal elements of facial aesthetics. The most commonly used facial implants are used to enhance the profile of the chin and the cheeks. Facial implants very widely not only in shape and style, but also in terms of the materials from which they are fabricated.

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat grafting.

oderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fillers For Temporary Chin Augmentation

+1

No injectable filler is an adequate substitute for a synthetic chin implant. But a filler can be a good trial to see if some degree of chin augmentation is viewed as beneficial. If using an injectable filler, Radiesse or Artefill which are particulated fillers, can provide a good push when placed down at the bone level. If a filler provides good improvement, the placement of an actual chin implant will provide a more economical approach to a sustained chin augmentation result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Are there really good alternatives to a chin implant?

+1

A receding chin is from deficiency of bone not muscle or fat. I cannot conceive of how an injectable filler could be an acceptable alternative to a simple and reversible procedure such as a silastic chin implant .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting and Fillers for Chin Augmentation instead of Chin Implant

+1

Both fillers (Artefill or Radiesse) and fat grafting would be appropriate choices for chin augmentation without the use of an implant.

Fat grafting

+1

I use fat grafting to perform many soft tissue augmentation procedures and it works well. I have not done the chin but many surgeons report good success with it.

Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to cheek implants

+1

There are several types of fillers that could be used to augment the chin instead of using an implant.  I would say there are three main possibilities.  These would be Artefill, Sculptra, and Radiesse.  Artefill and Sculptra are stimulatory agents that would require multiple treatment sessions to reach the desired effect.  Radiesse would have an immediate effect but would not last as long as Sculptra or Artefill.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon