Alternative Treatment for Perioral Dermatitis?

I have been diagnosed with perioral dermatitis and was prescribed Solodyn. After taking the Solodyn for 3 weeks I began itching all over and had to discontinue use.

Since stopping Solodyn, my perioral dermatitis has returned. I plan to obtain a new antibiotic from my derm but I've had trouble getting hold of her.

My question is, if I'm allergic to solodyn, will I most likely be allergic to tetracycline. And, if so, are there antibiotics other than tetracyclines that are effective for perioral dermatitis?

Perioral dermatitis is a variant of acne rosacea

+1

Perioral dermatitis is a relatively common variant of acne rosacea for women. The key is to avoid topical steroid which may provide temporary relief but will perpetuate the rash with any extended usage. Often times, there can be allergic contact trigger and the more experienced board-certified dermatologists may recommend skin patch test. Oral doxycycline or minocycline can be quite helpful. Almost all patients who may be allergic to minocycline (or Solodyn a branded extended release formulation) should have no problem taking doxycycline. Your board-certified dermatologist will have the latest formulation of doxycycline that can speed up resolution of perioral dermatitis.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon