Alternative to Injectables for Lip Lines?

I desperately want to get rid of the lines above my upper lip but I'm deathly afraid of needles. Is there anything that you can suggest ?

Retinoids, Antioxidants Help Only Slightly

+1

These lines are created by the movement of the orbicularis Oris muscle. It is unlikely that topical treatments will help at the present stage of our biodelivery knowledge.

Perhaps, a Retinoid will help slightly. I also like the antioxidants found in RevaleSkin ( CoffeeBerry) and Ultra-Calming cream ( Feverfew).

Be sure not to use a straw and avoid using the p or b sound ( much easier said than done).

Next time you have dental work, which you might need anyway, runover to a plastic surgery or dermatology office and have injections done then. Botox, by the way is not very painful, especially if you are pre-treated with a topical anesthetic and use ice or a vibrating system.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Depends on the depth of the lines

+1

Frequently, lines on the upper lip are very superficial and are not amenable to dermal fillers. You may be better served by any of the various methods of skin resurfacing. In my practice, I prefer standard dermabrasion to the area around the mouth. This does require local anesthesia, and some recovery time, but is very effective for this particular area.

Good Luck!

Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.