Tooth Lower 4th Right, One Dentist Said Can Not Be Saved, Another Said Root Canal?

nhs dentist told me only option extraction, private dentist said can root canal post & crown? I have the front of tooth back broken off. Nhs dentist said damage below gum line & nothing can do do best option to source implant, the private said can save & difficult to implant due to slanted root which has huge nerve in between? Why can my bus dentist not fix as privately costs 900?

Implant better long term

+1

Without x-rays and a visual exam, it is impossible to tell you whether or not your tooth can be saved or not.  What I can tell you is, that if that much tooth structure is broken, and if it's that close to the gumline, the long term prognosis of that tooth is moderate (more likely poor) at best.  The implant, while more expensive now, offers you a better long term solution and is a better use of your money in the long run.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Should I save this tooth different opinions?

+1

Without records very difficult to give guidance...I suggest you ask each dentist what they would do in their own mouth and what length of time they feel the treatment will last. Sometime we can save teeth but in a couple of years its lost a may not be the best investment good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Fix tooth

+1

In dentistry, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Obviously these two dentists have differing opinions on what they can do for this tooth. If you can spare the money, it is always a good option to try to save your  tooth. Implants are great, but not as good as your natural teeth.

Lilya Horowitz, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Different options for crown

+1

It sounds like each dentist is recommending an option based on the resources that are available to you/them.  Also, each dentist, however talented, has a limitation on the set of skills to treat patients with which they feel comfortable.  That's when they have to rely on one of several specialists.  It is possible your NHS dentist does not have access to such specialists. 

Mika Miyamoto-Shemali, DDS
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Best result for broken tooth, implant or root canal, post and crown?

+1

Without a thorough examination it is hard to tell you which I would recommend.  Root canal therapy is 95% sucessful and I usually prefer to keep the tooth for many reasons.  You actually kill brain cells that go directly to the tooth thru the Trigeminal Nerve when you extract a tooth.  

Why take out a tooth you can save?  There may be reasons that make an implant preferable.  Each case is individual.

Ira Shapira, DDS
Highland Park Cosmetic Dentist