I Also Had a Breast Reduction and the Open Wound on my Left Breast T-zone Has Formed a Scab. Most All the Area Has Healed Now?

except for one little spot that has a scab that will not go away. It seems that there is a little black stitch underneath. (i rememember seeing the black stitch when the wound was open) Should I remove the scab myself, since it is so dry, and will not fall off. My surgery was on Dec 17, 2012. It has been 2 months now. I have kept the area dry and cool. I am not wearing a bra and I am anxious to do so.

Open Wound after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.
 These types of superficial wound healing problems are not uncommonly seen after breast reduction surgery. The most important "step" for successful resolution, in my opinion, is close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to recommend appropriate local wound care, treat any infection present, and/or remove any suture material that potentially will delay healing.
 Generally speaking, patients who experience these types of superficial separations go on to heal well, without long-term detraction from the end results.

Breast reduction and scab

+1

I think that it would be best for you to see your surgeon to be properly evaluated and the scab assessed.

Breast Reduction Healing

+1
It is not uncommon to have delayed healing in breast reduction incisions, especially at the inverted "T" region. Most heal uneventfully.  A foreign body (retained suture) will prevent healing in this area.  A black suture is a permanent suture, likely silk or nylon,  and needs to be trimmed out. I would recommend seeing your surgeon for this as it should be an easy fix.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

I would suggest you call your surgeon. He/she may want you to come in so he/she can remove it. If you choose to remove the scab, then taking the suture out will help the area to heal quicker.

Good luck

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon