Is it alright if i have one cigarette each day after having rhinoplasty done two weeks ago?

I'm seventeen years old & had rhinoplasty done two weeks ago. My doctor took a bump off my nose since my nose was broken for eleven years & I had breathing problems. I have dissolvable stitches on the inside of my nose & on the right side of my head just above my right ear. My doctor said i'm healthly but i've been craving to have a cigarette for a long time now. So is it alright for me to have a cigarette a day or once every now & then since it's been two weeks after having my rhinoplasty done?

Cigarette Smoking After Rhinoplasty

+2

Do yourself a favor, and stop smoking all together. Not only does it retard the healing process, it gives you wrinkles, and is very aging to the skin. You are very young, and should stop that nasty habit. Discuss the pros and cons with your Plastic Surgeon at your next visit.

Cigarette smoking after rhinoplasty

+2

Cigarette smoking can definitely adversely affect the healing after surgery, so it would be best to completely avoid smoking after surgery. Your particular surgeon may feel differently and has the most information about your procedure, so you could also contact him or her to check.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Negative effects of nicotine and smoking during recovery after rhinoplasty

+2

After rhinoplasty, the blood supply and lymphatics of your nose is very sensitive and can easily be compromised. Smoking and nicotine will hurt the blood supply and circulation of your nose, which can result in poor healing. Touch base with your surgeon about when is a safe time to resume smoking. I typically instruct my patients to wait 6 weeks after surgery.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Is it alright if I have one cigarette each day after having rhinoplasty two weeks ago?

+1

In general, you will want to avoid smoking at least 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after rhinoplasty. Nicotine itself is a vasoconstrictor. When vasoconstriction takes place, surface area inside the blood vessels decreases. This results in poor blood flow and a rise in blood pressure. I would highly recommend refraining from any additional smoking, as it can have a negative impact on your healing. Speak with your surgeon, as he/she may have specific guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Smoking following rhinoplasty can negatively impact wound healing and should be avoided.

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking impairs wound healing and it is probably best to not smoke at all. While you are healing it is best to avoid smoking.