Is It Alright if a Certified Licensed Nurse Injects Restylane?

Nurse injector for fillers

+1

Fillers can be injected to improve cosmetic concerns such as wrinkles.  Restylane or Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra and Fat Injections are used.  The nurse that is doing the injecting could be much more experienced than the doctor who hired her or him.  They might even do a better job than some inexperienced physicians.  Whether they have a good understanding of the underlying anatomy and if they can deal with corrections, when necessary, is dependent on their trianing.      

Nurse injectors

+1

AS others have said, the law varies from state to state.  I do all the injections myself.  I think the patients want the experienced hands of a qualified physician.

Certified licensed nurse injects Restylane

+1

As Dr Aldea has pointed out, it depends on the state medical rules. Here in Florida it seems no one follows the rule thusly I see very poorly injected Botox and fillers. I believe ONLY a very well experienced and qualified doctor should inject. 

WHY would you WANT to be injected by a Nurse instead of a Doctor?

+1

Depending on the state, nurses may be allowed to inject fillers (Juvederm,Restylane, Perlane etc) or Botox. In the vast majority of states, they have to do so under the "supervision" of doctors but the definition of supervision can be very liberal. (In some cases, the doctors can "supervise" off the premises). 

Personally, with apologies to all trained nurses, I firmly believe that injection by a well-trained plastic surgeon is superior to that done by a nurse and would urge you to find a Plastic surgeon who does his/her own filler and Botox injections.

Nurse injectors for restylane are common but regulations vary by state and country

+1

Dermal fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm, along with muscle relaxers such as Botox and Dysport are prescrition products meaning that an order of a licensed physician is required. However, most states allow the injections to be delegated to a mid-level medical professional such as an R.N. In many areas the initial evaluation can be done by a nurse practitioner, so the M.D. does not have to be on site, but a clear supervisory relationship with the prescribing M.D. is required. Other rules may apply in other countries.

Richard Baxter, MD

If you are in the United States, this depends on your state.

+1

Be advised that many states permit registered nurses to do injectable treatments like BOTOX and Restylane.  However, all states that I am aware of require a good faith examination prior to their nurse doing your treatment.  The doctor needs to be on the premises.  This means that when you see a store front with a "nurse injector" and a sign stating that there is a "physician director" but no actual doctor on the premises generally does not meet this requirement.  You can contact you state medical board that licenses physicians in your state to learn what their particular requirements are.  Generally without the doctor physically present, many states consider this the unauthorized practice of medicine.  

Having said this, it is important to understand that these treatments are art forms and require advanced understanding of the facial anatomy that is often beyond the training of doctors who perform these treatments.  Nurses have even less training in these issues.  It does make treatment more affordable but recognize that in top offices what you are paying for is the skill and experience of a highly qualified physician injector and yes it does make a difference.