8 Years With Implants, And They're Great. But, What Can I Do About Loose Skin?

I had implants put in 8 years ago (saline teardrop) and now when laying in a bikini they go to the side and there's alot of loose skin so you can see stretch marks (I have to try and stay sitting up). I was and am happy with the implants but would like to get rid of the loose skin. Is this possible without getting bigger implants to fill out the skin with a lift maybe? I know this is occurred over time, gaining and losing weight I'm sure. Please I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Breast revision?

+1

Thank you  for the question.

It would behoove you to be seen by what experience for certified plastic surgeons for direct examination.

Based on your description however I think you may benefit from correction of the implant pocket (you may be experiencing lateral implant  displacement), exchange to silicone gel implants  and possible breast lifting  surgery (depending on your physical examination).

Loose skin years after augmentation.

+1

There are in fact two issues which could be affecting what your seeing. Given that you are happy with the breast shape when you are sitting up tells me that the issue maybe more related to the pocket inside the breast than with the skin/breast tissue itself. Over time, it is common for the implant pocket to stretch out underneath the arms which can lead to the implants sliding to the side when you lay down. Because of this, the breast appears to "deflate" in the middle. Correction of this requires a tightening of the capsule inside the breast. If you have issues with the breast appearing to "hang off the implant," then a reduction in the skin via a breast lift is indicated. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what options are right for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after a breast augmentation.

+1

This is a very common problem seem by plastic surgeons. Aging, increased size of breasts (with the implants), body weight gain and loss causes the breast skin to stretch.  While you are correct in your assumption that larger implants will correct this problem, it will do so only temporarily.  Larger implant cause the skin to stretch even faster over time causing the same problem you now are facing.   If you are happy with the current size and consistency of your breasts then the best way to correct the loose skin would be to undergo a breast lift. 

Having said that I am not sure loose skin  is your problem as it appears from your photo that  your implant is quite visible along the edge of your left breast. This problem may be corrected by different type of implant or pocket placement.  It would be best if you were to see a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you and discuss your goals and expectations.

Donald M. Brown, MD

If you have loose skin following a Beast Augmentation, than a breast lift

+1

is an excellent way to address the problem without using larger implants.  On a separate note, the fact that the implants fall to the side indicates that the pocket the implants are in is too large and lax, and the lateral boarder of your breasts need to be reinforced.  You can try a suture repair, but with the same size implants there is a good chance the problem could recur, so I would discuss placement of an allograft along the desired lateral boarder of the breast (internally) to prevent the implants from moving laterally.  Another problem you appear to have is visible rippling of the implants, and you might want to consider switching from saline to silicone gel implants.  If he or she is still in practice, I would recommend a visit to the surgeon who put the implants in that you have been satisfied with for the past eight years...

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

+1

Photo only demonstrates rippling of the implant not "loose skin". Best to see a boarded PSS in person. 

Correcting Breast Augmentation Results

+1

You appear to have Saline implants under the breast / over the muscle which are increasingly visible along their periphery, slide more to the side than you would like them to and are bothered by some breast sagging.

In my opinion, I would replace these implants with smooth, round silicone gel implants (which are lighter and ripple less than saline) and place them in a new conservative pocket under the muscle. This will do away with the visibility of the implants along the inner margins of the breast and the sideways shifting of the implants. Then, with you being seated up during the surgery a breast lift would precisely remove only the excess skin around these new implants giving you perky breasts.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Loose breast skin after breast augmentation with tear drop implants

+1

there are several options which can also be combined:

1. implant exchange with better shaped silicone implants
  2. fat grafting into the breast for filler
  3. a lift to tighten the skin

Implants and loose skin

+1
You appear to have several problems that can be addressed individually or collectively for improvement. 1. Your teardrop implants move excessicely to the side when laying down.---> You can change your implants to a similar volume, but to a wider implant which will fill the entire space and/or also tighten the lateral internal extent of the implant pocket. 2. You have loose skin with stretch marks.---> See #1 above and/or consider a breast lift to thighten your skin. Make sure you get several opinions from experienced plastic surgeons. These problems are difficult to assess and execute.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin 8 years after BA

+1

Your loose skin should be fixed with a breast lift procedure. I would suggest switching to silicone gel implants as they have less chance of rippling which you may also have a bit of.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Devolving breast augmentation result

+1

As you are very fit and thin, you will see all irregularities in a saline implant.  Dr. Johnson's suggestions I would support and mimic, namely considering a moderate profile gel implant exchange with perhape wider implants to close the gap in the middle and a pocket repair on the side to help keep them up in front better.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS