Saline again or Cohesive Gel?

Thank you in advance for your time! I have always had Saline for safety reasons (I have 17/18 year old implants that now need replacing). But, I know the new Gel are much safer then older silicone, no more oozing. However, I am still concerned about getting the new silicone gel implants even though I am told it could produce a better result. Ahhh, what do I do? Even with the new gel implants, are the Saline still safer?

Saline vs silicone implants

+1

If you were in the U.S. when you had your saline implants placed, silicone gel implants were restricted. However, many large studies confirmed that they were safe and so the FDA approved them in 2006. All silicone used in breast implants is nontoxic and cohesive, so safety should not be a factor in deciding between silicone and saline OR between form-stable ("gummy bear") implants and round. The form-stable implants such as Allergan style 410 feel firmer and are not ideal for every patient.

Silicone breast implants and cohesive gel

+1

There are distinct benefits of the cohesive gel implants. The new gels have a much better safety profile and are advisable as an option over regular silicone implants.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Gel or saline

+1

It really depends on your reason for changing them. If its just because the implants have deflated then either would be fine. they are both very safe implants. Silicone do typically cost more but their only advantage is they feel more natural and can seem to minimize rippling. But the look for both usually is the same. Good luck:)

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

New silicone

+1

The simple way is to replace with new saline if you have no complaints. Silicone implants if you choose them are fine as well. You are correct about the oozing. I would tell you to go with you gut feeling! Best wishes

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon