Am I Allowed to Get a Nose Job at Age 18?

Hello, my question is that I'm turning 18 in February, so in January I will go to surgeon's consultation to plan and see what is gonna happen with my nose job. I've heard from people that I can't get a nose job until I turn 23? is that true? I've seen some doctors' opinions and they say that with 18 years old, there should be no problem at all. but, I'm kind of scared, what about if that surgeon tells me that he wouldn't do the nose job until I turn 23? What should I tell him? Thanks a lot :).

Best age for rhinoplasty

+2

By age 18, by far most patients are mature enough to have a rhinoplasty.  It is the unusual patient who would have to wait until 23 to have their nose done.  In fact, many patients have their surgery at age 16!

If you consult with several reputable plastic surgeons, you will likely find a surgeon whose skillset, experience and personality you like and trust to do your surgery.

Yes, You Can Undergo a Rhinoplasty At 18

+1

Yes, you are allowed to get a nose job at age 18.  The legal age however, required for a patient to sign their own consent will vary from state to state.  If you are under the legal age then you will need to have your parent or your legal guardian sign for this procedure also.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

When is the right time to have a Rhinoplasty?

+1

The nose grows from birth until about age five or six. It then rests until puberty begins. For this reason the youngest patients are generally around 13-14 depending on the maturity of the cartilages. Some patients will not have mature enough cartilages at that age and will require waiting. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to determine if the cartilages have matured. By eighteen years of age the growth of the nose should most certainly be adequate.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age for Rhinoplasty

+1

At age 18 your tissues should be mature enough to undergo Rhinoplasty.  You should also be emotionally mature enough as well.  Best to see a few rhinoplasty surgeons.  Let them know your goals, and they will help you make the best choice for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Rhinoplasty fine at age 18

+1

Your age is of no concern for a rhinoplasty. As long as a patient is medically fit for the procedure, and is emotionally mature enough, 18 is an appropriate age. I doubt there are many surgeons who would not perform a rhinoplasty on an 18 year-old patient. If your surgeon tells you otherwise, I would consider seeking an additional consultation elsewhere. Good luck with everything.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose job (Rhinoplasty) at age 18

+1

Your nasal bones and cartilage have fully matured by age 18, and if you want a change that can be achieved by rhinoplasty, there is no good reason to wait, in my opinion.

Steve Laverson, MD

Rhinoplasty at Age 18

+1

Most 18 year old males are physically mature and are candidates for rhinoplasty. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will evaluate the motivation and expectations of his/her patients regardless of age. There is no need to wait until you're 23.

Age Is Usually Not An Issue For Rhinoplasty

+1

The influence of age on early or young rhinoplasty has to do with nose growth and development, psychological maturity to make a face changing decision, and whom is to give consent for the procedure. Cosmetic rhinoplasty can really be done anytime during the teenage years from age 15 onward as the nose is essentially full developed. Under age 18, parental consent is needed both legally and from a sound judgment standpoint. Once age 18 or older, the decision for rhinoplasty is solely between the patient and their plastic surgeon. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Age for rhinoplasty

+1

My usual minimum cut off is about 16 for girls and 17 for boys based upon whether or not they are at full adult height and are no longer growing. 

What age to consider Rhinoplasty?

+1

A patient aged 18 or older is a reasonable candidate for a Rhinoplasty.

One of the most important things to consider when evaluating a patient desiring rhinoplasty is Patient Expectation! Unreasonable expectations are a major reason for unhappy patients after a rhinoplasty. 

It is important for the Plastic Surgeon and Patient to have a detailed discussion about what he/she would like changed, and whether or not that change will give the patient the desired result, or if that result is even attainable!

Bringing in a picture of what you would like your final result to resemble is a good way for a Plastic Surgeon to determine if a patient's expectations are reasonable. A picture of a nose that in NO way resembles the patients preoperative nose is a good predictor of unreasonable expectations (and I have had those patients, and I was glad I asked them to bring in a picture!)

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon