Pain with Implant. Is This Normal?

I had a mastectomy in Feb 2010. Reconstruction with expander then silicone implant. Revision in Oct.2010 to make the shelf for the breast and mastopexy on other breast. I have allot of muscle pain (burning,itching sore)with implant, it is moderately painful every day. Is this normal?

Long-term muscle pain after reconstruction is not typical

+2

In order to figure out why you are having persistent pain this long after the reconstruction, more information would be needed. If your reconstruction was done using a total submuscular technique, then muscle pain is not uncommon but it shouldn't last this long. If it was done with Alloderm, the post op course may be smoother since the muscle that causes most of the tightness and discomfort with expansion is not affected. You should see your plastic surgeon and see what can be done.

Breast reconstruction

+1
The scar or capsule around the implant maybe the cause.  this can worsen but there are alternatives.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being see in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast reconstruction

+1
You may have a capsular contracture. There are some options for treating this. Speak to you plastic surgeon

David L. Abramson, MD

Pain with Implant. Is This Normal?

+1

Sounds like you may have a capsular contracture, or possibly a seroma.  Best to be seen by your surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pain with Implant. Is This Normal?

+1

Very difficult over the internet to advise the cause. My guess is capsular fibrosis or scarring. Best to obtain a few in person opinions. 

You may have capsular contracture

+1

The most common reason for the pain post implant reconstruction is capsular contracture. Please see you doctor for further evaluation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction

+1

Perisistent pain after breast reconstruction is not common.  You should see your doctor to be evaluated for this issue.  Most pain resolves within a few weeks after surgery.