How long does Alloderm lip augmentation last?

I am tired of getting injections every three months; what is the best long-term solution? What are the pros and cons of using Alloderm?

Last a very long time

+1

AlloDerm is essentially cadaver skin minus any living cells.  It is used as a scaffold through which a persons living cells can grow into.  It has many uses, but, in use his in breast reconstruction.  AlloDerm does not help in mastectomy recovery.  It does however help in breast reconstruction. In this application, AlloDerm was used to cover the lower portion of an implant that spans from the lower border of the pectoralis muscle to the breast fold.  Because AlloDerm is a foreign substance in can always get infected and as such your doctor and you need to pay close attention to the signs and symptoms.  AlloDerm has also been used in nipple augmentation as well as augmentation of other body parts.  Its efficacy is really not known in these realms because it is not common.  Some providers may use AlloDerm for these applications but please note that its most widespread use is particularly in breast reconstruction as well as repair for abdominal wall hernias.  Please speak with a board certified plastic surgeon if you have any specific concerns regarding your care.

Alloderm Lip Augmentation

+1
There are a variety of benefits associated with Alloderm lip augmentation. Because Alloderm lip augmentation uses human tissues that don't have to be extracted from the patient's own body, there is only one area that will require healing rather than two. Alloderm lip augmentation results in a soft supple boost to the volume and size of the lips. You can also generally expect fast and complete healing and superior functional and reconstructive outcomes. Alloderm lip augmentation results can last anywhere between two to five years or longer depending on the surgery and the patient.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Alloderm Makes A Great Lip Augmentation If Done Correctly

+1

I use Alloderm for my long term lip augmentations, and also in the glabellar region of the forehead (the area just above the nose between the eyebrows).  The trick to having Alloderm last 5 years or more is to use the thickest piece, don't fold it, don't put any stitches in it.  The process that eats up dissolvable stitches will unfortunately also eat up the Alloderm.  You make an incision at either end of the lip in an area known as the commisure, and then use a tendon passer to position the Alloderm in whatever area of the lip you desire.

Some of the patients in whom I placed Alloderm over 10 years ago still have Alloderm present in their lips. 

The pros of Alloderm are obvious.  It lasts a very long time if done correctly and it is a quick surgery which can be done under local.  The cons are that it is relatively pricey, and if not done correctly, can dissolve much quicker than you want it to.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm for lip augmentation

+1

I have used Alloderm implants for lip augmentation to give a longer results than the HA fillers.  But I prefer Silikon 1000 which is truly wonderful, and have also had good luck with the Perma Facial Implant.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Alloderm lip augmentation

+1

It does have a longer result than hyaluronic acids but does resorb over time.  Drawbacks are the cost of the product.  Another option is utilizing SMAS tissue from a mini face lift

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

What is the best long term solution for lip augmentation?

+1

Alloderm is effective in long lasting lip augmentation, however, I don't like to use this product in the lips because it becomes part of the lip tissue and is impossible to remove later if the patient doesn't like it.  For my patients, I much prefer to use a silicone product called Perma Lip Facial Implant.  This has been thoroughly tested and is very effective for long term lip augmentation.  It is permanent, but can be removed if the patient no longer wants the implant later in life.  It comes in various sizes and the proper size can be selected based on the patient's desires.  The implant is very soft and not palpable in the lip.  For luscious, perfectly kissable lips ask your surgeon about Perma Lip. (usually costs $1800-2000 for both upper and lower lips and is performed in the office)

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

How long does alloderm Lip augmentation last?

+1

I have performed many Lip Augmentations with Alloderm (sheets, not the injectible form) and wrote a scientific paper on Alloderm compared to other types of Lip Augmentation materials.  Alloderm lip implants last about 7 years but are softer and more supple, IMHO than other lip implants made of silasrtic or saline filled bags.  IMO, Alloderm Lip Implants are the gold standard by which all other lip augmentation materials should be judged.