Is Alloderm in Combination with an Implant Better to Reach a More Natural Looking Breast?

I will undergo a revision of a breastreconstruction bilateral in the Netherlands. The current size is too small for my chest and skinpocket. I have a relatively thin skin. Is alloderm a safe and best esthetic option to use to have a better cosmetic outcome?

Using Alloderm in breast reconstruction

+1

Using Alloderm or any other acellular dermal matrix can aid in breast reconstruction by minimizing the need to lift additional muscles to cover the implant and supporting the lower skin flap. In addition the give of the matrix allows for preferential expansion in the lower pole of the breast. This does allow for an improved cosmetic result. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm for more natural looking breasts

+1

Thanks for your question.  Actually there are several options when it comes to using tissue matrix materials to aidin breast reconstruction.  The alloderm will aid in the lower pole of the breast, helping anchor the implants in place, and making the tissue slightly thicker.  Once integrated it will be hard to tell what is native tissue vs. alloderm.  One of the concerns with using alloderm is that it will stretch over time, which normall in breast reconstruction is necessary.  To much might not be beneficial.  I tend to use other tissue matrices such as Surgimend, which is stronger and is also fenestrated.  This allow you to only have one drain per side instead of two normally seen with alloderm.  Photos and a physical exam would aid in giving further recommendations.  Good luck in your endeavors.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Yes alloderm can help in revision breast reconstruction surgery

+1

The use of alloderm can be helpful in revision surgery to soften wrinkles as well as provide support of the breast implant used.

Alloderm is an effective option for revision breast surgery

+1

Alloderm forms a sort of living internal bra that can help support and cover breast implants. For thin patients needing revision breast surgery it can be especially useful, though I cannot comment on your specific case without more information. There are other products such as Strattice that also work well.

Web reference: http://www.drbaxter.com/corrective_procedures.html

Alloderm for nautral breast appearance

+1

Great question -

Alloderm is a "dermal matrix" which has the structural elements of a part of your skin called the dermis but has had the cells removed.

This dermal matrix can be used for reinforcing natural tissue in hernia repair or as a way to create a thicker tissue coverage over implants.  It can be used to reduce implant palpability or reduce implant rippling.  It can also be used to lower the recurrence of capsular contracture.

In breast reconstruction it is very commonly used during implant reconstruction to create a natural inferior pole and to decrease the time for tissue expansion.

You should review your concerns for breast enhancement with your plastic surgeon to see if this something that may address a specific problem you have.  In my San Francisco area practice we use dermal matrix for all of the problems listed above.

I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.trivalleyplasticsurgery.com

+1

It is difficult to answer this question without photographs

There are new options now available such as absorbable synthetic mesh ,fat derived  Stem cell injections, and PRP

Web reference: http://www.beckermd.com/breast/reconstruction-boca-raton-fl/

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.