Is Alloderm a Good Choice for Lip Enhancement?

I'm looking for a product that is longer-lasting than hyluronic fillers and I'd be content to get even a few years out of Alloderm! Does it give natural, non-lumpy results in the lips? What's an average cost?

Think fat graft before alloderm for a filler

+1

AlloDerm is essentially cadaver skin minus any living cells.  It is used as a scaffold through which a persons living cells can grow into.  It has many uses, but, in use his in breast reconstruction.  AlloDerm does not help in mastectomy recovery.  It does however help in breast reconstruction. In this application, AlloDerm was used to cover the lower portion of an implant that spans from the lower border of the pectoralis muscle to the breast fold.  Because AlloDerm is a foreign substance in can always get infected and as such your doctor and you need to pay close attention to the signs and symptoms.  AlloDerm has also been used in nipple augmentation as well as augmentation of other body parts.  Its efficacy is really not known in these realms because it is not common.  Some providers may use AlloDerm for these applications but please note that its most widespread use is particularly in breast reconstruction as well as repair for abdominal wall hernias.  Please speak with a board certified plastic surgeon if you have any specific concerns regarding your care.

Alloderm for Lip Enhancement

+1
For longer lasting enhancement, an AlloDerm graft is a great option. Essentially, an AlloDerm graft is like a lattice structure that lets vines grow in your garden. It is a piece of skin that has been stripped of its living cells; all that is left is a soft, collagen structure. The collagen structure is inserted into the lip where it allows the patient's own cells to attach and grow, which provides the enhancement. The graft is placed easily through small, inconspicuous incisions in the corners of the mouth. The result is a very natural look and feel for long term enhancement.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Alloderm is not a good choice for lip enlargement

+1

Alloderm had been touted years ago for lip augmentation before we had all the great options that we have now. It was inserted through the lip via a tunnel allowing for the enlargement. A considerable amount of swelling ensued. Ultimately, even though the lips were enlarged, they were somewhat stiff with a discernable abnormality of movement. The results were also not fully permanent.

There are much better solutions today for natural lip enlargement/enhancement like the hyaluronic acids such as Restylane and Juvederm.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Alloderm, Lip Augmentation, Fuller Lips, Beverly Hills Lip Augmentation, Beverly Hills Lip Enhancement

+1

I have used Alloderm for Lip Augmentation for over 15 years and believe that its' the gold standard in Lip Augmentation.

• Alloderm is soft and supple once placed in the lips
  • Alloderm lasts about 7 years
  • Because Alloderm is soft, it can be placed just beneath the outer lip mucosa (pink portion) for a more aesthetic enhancement

Alloderm is a good choice for lip augmentation

+1

In my experience, alloderm lasts longer than injectable fillers, and can be shaped. It usually feels fairly natural and is unlikely to cause problems. Although alloderm inegrates and becomes living tissue in other applications such as implant support for  breast reconstruction, it doesn't provifde a permanent result in lips.

Richard Baxter, MD

Alloderm does not last for lip augmentation

+1

Because Alloderm is a soft human collagen-based sheet, it can easily be cut and threaded into the lips for augmentation. Unfortunately, the outcome of Alloderm lip augmentation is now well known. It simply doesn't last which is why it is no longer used for this facial application.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Best choice for lip enhancement

+1

For a longer lasting augmentation for the lips, I like to use a patients own skin/tissue taken from another place in your body and grafted into one or both lips. The advantages of using your own skin are that it will not be rejected and a custom piece can be accurately tailored. This is a very popular procedure to do in conjunction with a Facelift and the extra tissue is readily available.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Alloderm for lip enhancement

+1

In my opinion, there is no reason to use Alloderm for lip enhancement.  The HA fillers available are so safe and effective for this purpose.  I have many patients who have enhancement with Prevelle, which is very soft and smooth and rarely causes bruising or swelling.  And it doesn't hurt very much.  They are happy to come in several times a year for a treatment.  It's less expensive that having your hair colored every six weeks. 

The margin for error for any sort of permanent lip implant is soooo tiny that I doubt if I will ever go back to doing any permanent filler or implant to this area.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Alloderm is a POOR Lip Filler

+1
Alloderm's days as a lip filler are long gone. Alloderm, human donor skin from which all cellular material was removed, came on the market several years ago and was touted, among many other applications, as an ideal lip filler. It was introduced into the lips by tunneling through and then pulling the graft the length of the lip. The problem was the significant cost, the inflammation and swelling with stiffness of the lip which was followed by long standing irregularities followed by graft absorption. I know of no reputable Plastic surgeon who still prefers using Alloderm for lip augmentation. Don't do it. Dr. Aldea

Alloderm Lips

+1

Alloderm is not a good product in the lips.  An injectable version of it was out called Cymetra, however, it had issues with longevity.  In addition, lumpiness and non uniformity in results was reported.  Consider an HA product such as Juvederm or Restylane as a worthy alternative.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon