Alloderm for Rhinoplasty?

Hello, I had a revision rhinoplasty done 2 months ago. First surgeon bascially broke the cartilage at the tip of my nose and tried to rebuild my tip using my cartilage. It made my tip crooked and pointy. I had a revision done and the doctor removed the cartilage that was used to build up my tip and used alloderm instead to rebuild my tip. My nose does look great and it looks natural. Does alloderm resorb overtime? Will my tip collapse? Also, can alloderm be used as a columella strut?

Alloderm and Resorption

+1

Alloderm presumably revascularizes and becomes incorporated into your tissues at least according to the research.  Alloderm does not have enough tensile strength to be used as a strut.

Alloderm and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

There are differing opinions out there regarding whether or not Alloderm absorbs after placement during rhinoplasty. I am in the camp of rhinoplasty surgeons who believe the Alloderm can and does absorb in some cases over time. Will it cause your tip to collapse? Not likely. Alloderm should not be used as a columellar strut as it does not provide any significant structural support to the nasal framework. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm

+1

Alloderm becomes incorporated in the tissue and should not resorb overtime.  Good luck with your new nose.