Can Alloderm Be Used in the Face?

I understand it is a piece of tissue, like collagen. could it possibly be used in the chin to bring it out a bit or under the eyes for undereye hollows?

Alloderm not so good for volume

+2

Alloderm is a very useful tool in the operating room, but it would not be my first choice for adding volume to re contour the face or any other area. It does provide an excellent framework where more structural integrity is needed, but very little in the way of volume. There are more reliable and less expensive ways to add volume, such as fat grafting.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Fat graft rather than alloderm as a filler

+1

AlloDerm is essentially cadaver skin minus any living cells.  It is used as a scaffold through which a persons living cells can grow into.  It has many uses, but, in use his in breast reconstruction.  AlloDerm does not help in mastectomy recovery.  It does however help in breast reconstruction. In this application, AlloDerm was used to cover the lower portion of an implant that spans from the lower border of the pectoralis muscle to the breast fold.  Because AlloDerm is a foreign substance in can always get infected and as such your doctor and you need to pay close attention to the signs and symptoms.  AlloDerm has also been used in nipple augmentation as well as augmentation of other body parts.  Its efficacy is really not known in these realms because it is not common.  Some providers may use AlloDerm for these applications but please note that its most widespread use is particularly in breast reconstruction as well as repair for abdominal wall hernias.  Please speak with a board certified plastic surgeon if you have any specific concerns regarding your care.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Acellular dermal matrices, such as alloderm, have been used successfully in the face for multiple applications,

+1

including the ones you mentioned.  I use FlexHD for breast reconstruction and Belladerm for facial cosmetic surgery and facial reconstruction.  In particular, I have been most pleased by the results of combining a small segment of belladerm in the cheek in combination with a short scar facelift to rejuvenate the face and fill in the mid face area over the cheek bones.  I have also used Belladerm in nasal reconstruction to smooth out any small defects on the dorsum of the nose. 

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm for under the eyes

+1

I use quite a bit of AlloDerm for breast reconstruction and would not recommend using alloderm for under your eyes to assist with the "hollowing out" appearance.  There are other options for that - please see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what is the best option for you.

Alloderm, Lip Augmentation

+1

I've used Alloderm for over 15 years for Lip Augmentation and believe that it's the gold standard for Lip Augmentation.  I would not use Alloderm under the eyes or in the chin for Chin AugmentationAlloderm would be to thick for the thin lower eyelid skin and would not have the augmentation effect, in the chin, that a Chin Implant would offer.

Alloderm use in face - eyelid

+1

As an oculoplastic surgeon, I use alloderm in the lids for the correction of lid retraction.  It works well in providing structural support but not really for volume addition to correct undereye hollows in the lower lids.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Alloderm use in the face

+1

Thanks for the question.

Although it is possible to use Alloderm for facial volumization procedures, a better and more predictable alternative would be fat transfer. Alloderm can tend to resorb over time and sometimes completely. Alternatively, facial fillers such as Radiesse and Juvederm are excellent non-permaent alternatives for your mentioned procedures.

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

AlloDerm: Common Questions

+1
AlloDerm is derived from human skin and has been deemed aseptic – meaning that it has been developed under sterile conditions. The tissue matrix lacks living cells which makes it less capable of eliciting an immune response. This product can be used in the face, but there are better implantable or injectable substrates that have superior cosmetic results for the question you have asked.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Alloderm use in the face

+1

Alloderm is very useful for facial work, whether as a volume replacement or augmenter such as in the lip or cheek, or for reconstruction such as after a large skin cancer or eyelid malpositions. 

Carlo Rob Bernardino, MD
Monterey Oculoplastic Surgeon

Alloderm is often used in the Face

+1
Alloderm is commonly used in the face in applications such as lip augmentation, volume addition when needed for secondary rhinoplasty patients, and in those cases where large amounts of volume is needed in the face such as soft tissue reabsorption.  Layered Alloderm tends not to persist well due to the need for the alloderm to be in contact with recipient tissue surfaces.  WIth the popularity and increasing predictability of autogenous fat injections for various purposes in the face, I think multiple sessions of fat injections are generally the best alternative for the face (except for the nose) with other soft tissue fillers such a Sculptra or Radiesse being excellent alternatives to Fat when significant volume is desired, though I believe these should not be used in the lips.

Daniel Shapiro, MD