If I'm Allergic to the Smallpox Vaccine is It Safe to Get Dysport or Botox Injections?

I don't know what my reaction was to the vaccine, as I was a baby when I received it. I had always been told I was "deathly allergic" and wasn't allowed to attend school, play with or be around anyone who had just received the vaccination. I recall the isolation period at home being about 4 weeks before I was allowed to return to school. I am also allergic to Penicillin and Sulfa.

Allergy to smallpox vaccine, can I get Botox/Dysport

+2

There are no adverse affects noted in any literature about allergies to smallpox being prohibitive of getting Botox/Dysport. Seeing as there have been millions and millions of Botox/Dysport injections done over the years, I'd think someone else would have encountered this issue if it were a problem. Allergies to penicillin and sulfa are also not restrictions for Botox/Dysport. I might suggest if you are absolutely concerned, you could have your injector do a tiny amount - like 2 units - in an inconspicuous spot behind your ear. That would be able to demonstrate if anything would happen.

Allergic to the Smallpox Vaccine, Safe to Get Dysport or Botox Injections?

+2

Being allergic to the smallpox vaccine and to the antibiotics penicillin and sulfa is not a contraindication to Dysport or Botox injections.  Allergies to Dysport/Botox are rare and sometimes the apparent allergy is not due to the toxin itself but to albumin in the product or to preservatives in the saline that is used to mix with the product.  With your concerns, it is reasonable to ask your injector to first do a small test spot in an inconspicuous location to be sure that no ill reactions occur.  (This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Is it safe to have treatment with Botox/Dysport with an allergy to the smallpox vaccine?

+1

It is ok to have Botox or Dysport if you have an allergy to the smallpox vaccine. I would recommend communicating any allergies or medical conditions to your provider prior to having any treatments. Thank you, and good luck! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Is it ok to have Dysport or Botox if you are allergic to the smallpox vaccine?

+1

An allergy to the smallpox vaccine is not a contraindication to receiving treatment with Botox or Dysport. In general, you want to avoid Botox or Dysport when:

1) You are pregnant or breastfeeding
2) Have a known neuromuscular disease

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and allergies

+1

For a thorough understanding of the contraindications to Botox, please visit the website listed below.

Sam Naficy, MD

Smallpox vaccine and Botox/Dysport

+1

There should be no problem getting Botox or Dysport with having an allergy to smallpox vaccine, penicillin or sulfa.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon