Allergy Due to Ruptured Silicone Breast Implants?

I've had Silicone breast implants for two years, unfortunately as shown in the MRI, one is ruptured and the other one is leaking. I already saw a plastic surgeon and I'm planning on having them explanted; but I can't do it until in three months. I'm also developing rashes in different parts of my body. The itching comes and goes. It seems like an allergic reaction. Could the allergy be possibly related to the leaking implants?

Unlikely to be caused by an allergy to implants

+1

As the other doctors have mentioned, it would be very unlikely for your implants to be causing this. There have been a multitude of very well designed scientific studies investigating this and none have been able to show a connection between implants and allergies.

However, because rashes are not part of our expertise, I would suggest you consult with a dermatologist or allergist to help you. They will be better equipped to look at your rash and help treat it.

Allergy to silicone breast implants

+1

Hi there-

Provided your original surgery was performed using implants manufactured to the high standards we are accustomed to in the US, you can rest easy- silicone is an inert material that will not lead to allergic or immune reactions. Your symptoms must be being caused by something else in your environment.

There is now an overwhelming body of evidence proving silicone filled implants to be safe and free of problems such as immune or auto-immune reactions, diseases, allergies, and causing an increased risk of breast cancer.

Hope that helps-

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Allergy and silicone

+1

Sorry about your implants!  I do not think that the allergy you are describing and the implant leakage are related.  This was something that came up in the early 90''s when gel implants were initially removed from the market.  This was found not be related.

Highly unlikely silicone allergy

+1

If you had the implants made, and the surgery performed, in the United States with a reputable plastic surgeons, then allergy to silicone gel is impossible. However, implants made in other countries under uncertain circumstances could potentially have impurities. Or the surgery made have used some substance that you are allergic to such as talc or iodine but this allergy would do not be dependent on the rupture of the implant. Silicone implants can come with saline combination that might be inflated with allergenic medications like antibiotics or iodine. Overall, it is extremely unlikely that your ruptured implants are the cause of your allergies.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

There is no such thing as allergy to silicone.

+1

Hi! Your story is very unusual. In NYC, we have never seen a patient with BOTH implants leaking at 2 years. These implants need to be looked at very closely after they are removed.

But I can assure you that your rashes have nothing to do with your implants. There is a huge amount of scientific research that shows that silicone does not cause any illnesses

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Allergy with possible silicone gel implants

+1

Generally the risk of allergies to silicone implants remains exceptionally low and unsupported in the medical allergy.

Having said that, there are many people who claim that they suffer from allergy like symptoms after placement of breast implants. Some attribute this to potential agents used in the manufacturing process.

Silicone Impants and Allergy?

+1
It is unlikely and I am surprised that they are ruptured as they are very new. I dont understand how you say one is ruptured and the other is leaking as silicone implants dont leak. The gel is cohesive so there really is no leaking but yes they can rupture.
As far as the rash goes, it is very unlikely that it is your silicone implants. Possible, yes anything is possible, but very unlikely.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Unlikely due to silicone

+1

It is unusual that current generation silicone gel implants would both be leaking this early in your having them. I have been working with silicone implants for over 12 years and I have not found a patient of mine who had a leaking implant. We, as plastic surgeons, have the scientific literature and experience to go by and there is no literature to support a woman would have an allergic reaction to the silicone implants. It sounds as though they need to be replaced if there is evidence on the MRI that they are leaking. In the meantime you may consult with an allergist to see what they can determine as to what is causing your rashes. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS