Do I Need a Second Round of Accutane for Cystic Acne?

I'm allergic to oral antibiotics and 4-5 mos. of Accutane was unsuccessful. Cystic acne back in full force. Tried Perricone MD Skin Clear products and think they made it worse. Have moderate melasma on forehead, nose & cheeks from birth control. Enlarged pores, blackheads & whiteheads. What do I do? I know some people need to take Accutane a couple times to be effective & some have no success. It's such a hassle w/ iPledge & expensive even w/ ins.! It worked while I took it, but is it likely to cure me?

Accutane works, but you need to take enough!

+1

For most people, one course of Accutane puts their acne into remission.  However, a certain percentage of people do require a second course.  Make sure you are taking an appropriate amount for your body weight.  I find that under-dosing often leads to recurrence of the acne.

Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sometimes "Two Rounds" of Accutane are Needed

+1

In some patients, a repeat course of Accutane is needed to achieve the desired results. It is recommended that one wait a period of at least two months before repeating Accutane therapy. Accutane is unquestionably the most effective treatment for nodulocystic acne.