I Am Allergic to Many Components in Petroleum Products. Is It Safe for Me to Use Juvederm?

I Am Allergic to Many Components in Petroleum Products.  Is It Safe for Me to Use Juvederm?

Allergic to Petroleum... Is Juvederm safe for me???

Juvederm does not contain petroleum distillates.  It is made of Hyaluronic acid and should be a problem for your allergy to petroleum 

Allergies and Juvederm treatment

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler, and you should be fine. Discuss your allergies in detail with your injector to ensure there are no issues.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Petroleum allergy and injectable Juvederm

There seems to be some confusion amoung my colleagues as to whether your allergy is to "petrolatum (Vaseline)" or pertroleum (oil and gas products).  In either case, Juvederm is a non animal derived hyaluronic acid (Allergan) which is non allergenic, biodegradable, and should not cross react with either of the previously mentioned products.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Allergies to juvaderm

You should be fine. There are no Vaseline byproducts in Juvaderm. You also could call the company to double check with them.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Petroleum Products

Juvederm is made from highly cross-linked hyaluronic acid and does not contain petroleum products.  There should be no issues with an injection of Juvederm in this setting.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use of Juvederm in Patient Allergic to Petroleum Products

You should not have any problem with the use of Juvederm, but tell your physician about your allergies before injection.

Contact Allergan - not Medicis! for Juvederm ingredients

Sorry to Dr. Resnik, but Allergan makes Juvederm, not Medicis (they make Restylane) so contact Allergan at 1.800.433.8871. In the literature there are no petroleum products or byproducts noted, but if you contact them they can give you specifics.

Petroleum products in Juvederm?

I do not believe there are any petroleum related products in Juvederm. If you are concerned, you should call the Medicis customer service number and ask them to specifically address your concern.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist