How do I Choose Between Style 10 and Style 15 Allergan Natrelle Implants?

BWD ~14cm, bwd is something my PS did not mention. I am worried about choosing an implant with a lower diameter will give me a gap in cleaveage. Which would be a better choice to achieve an end result closer to the pictures shown? Style 15, 339ccs 12.4 diameter 4 proj vs. Style 10, 330ccs 13.0 diamter 3.6 proj Surgery date Nov. 29 using Allergan Silicone, under muscle, periolar. 24 yrs old, 5'3" 115lbs 29" ribcage. I feel as my right breast is slighly smaller? 1st picture is myself.

Implant Style Choice

+2

With silicone implants, I tend to choose between the moderate and high projection implants.  I find that the lower profile, like Style 10, do not give enough projection.  Base width is an important dimension, but it is possible to achieve a full look with an implant that is slightly smaller that the base width of the breast.  I believe that using intraoperative sizers to determine the best volume and style is a big help in achieving a patient's goal.  It also allows for the best symmetry in cases where the breast are asymmetric.  Speak frankly with your surgeon about your goals and review pictures with your surgeon to be sure you are both on the "same page"

Implant choice and breast augmentation outcome

+2

You may be placing too much emphasis on the type and projection of a breast implant and its effect on outcome. I believe that the most important single factor determining any woman's outcome from augmentation is her preoperative breast and body shape and size.  Women with "pretty breasts" before surgery typically have "pretty" breasts after surgery, albeit larger.   If there is some breast tissue to work with prior to surgery, the results are often better and more natural.  

The decision regarding what profile to use is primarily dictated by the diameter of your existing breasts and your desired breast size after surgery.   For women who wish to place a large volume in a small space (narrow bwd), a higher profile implant must be used in order to fit it in a given space.  

Your photograph demonstrates a reasonable amount of breast tissue.  Your tissue will help camouflage the implant.  Choosing too large an implant will create breasts that look unnatural and round.   Using either a style 10 or 15 will probably yield a good result, but I would likely use the style 15 implant.  Talk in detail with your surgeon.  I would suggest that you bring multiple photographs of other women with breasts that you find attractive and have a breast shape similar to your existing shape.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Profile

+2

Hello Crys3617,

BWD is very important when choosing the correct implant for you.  However, there are other just as important parameters that could affect your appearance, including the thickness of your tissue and it's ability to stretch or expand (tissue elasticity).  All these things are important to acheive a long lasting result that has a low risk of complications or reoperation.  It is interesting to note that you posted three examples of satisfactory results after breast augmentation, and each example started and finished with very different breasts.  In fact, you could have been posting examples of different tissue elasticity: one is very tight with a relatively flat result, one is relatively loose and slightly sagging (the blurred nipples) with presumably more projecting breasts, and the third is somewhere in between.

Assuming that the operation is performed correctly, the diameter of the implant has little effect on the gap between your breasts!  If your gap is wide and you have little tissue over your sternum, no implant regardless of its volume or diameter can narrow it without causing serious complications: over-resection of the pectoralis muscle, rippling, and symmastia.  So don't worry about implant diameter as an important decision to ensure a satisfactory gap.

Regarding your photos, based on your description of a chest circumference of 29', your breasts look like they are smaller than the width of 14 cm you posted.  Further, the nipple areolar complex is lower on the left side, which is also the larger breast with more apparent skin between the bottom of the areola and the inframammary fold. Therefore, your breasts have asymmetric elasticity as well.   All these things should be taken into consideration (by the surgeon) before deciding what size(s) or what profile implant is best for you.

You should have another visit with your chosen doctor to discuss these things, and hopefully you will feel more comfortable.  I think you should get a great result!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant selection and breast augmentation

+1

The style 10 implants have little projection. In selecting between the style 10 and style 15, go with the style 15.

Oviously, discuss this specifically with your plastic surgeon and be confident in your final decision.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implant Profile

+1

The implant profile is something that I think you should not need to worry about.  Once the volume to be used is decided your surgeon needs to select which profile will fit your chest wall the best.  For a given breast base width and implant volume there is only one correct choice.  Most of my patients do not get involved in the profile decision.  If you have concerns you need to discuss with your plastic surgeon what his plans are.  If you are uncomfortable with his answer I would go see another plastic surgeon.  Make sure that whomever you see is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   Also, in my practice the style 10 implant is almost never indicated.  

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

What style of breast implant?

+1

It is difficult to make this determination without a physical exam, but the style 10 implant does not give much projection to the breast. Most normal projection implants should achieve your goals in both maintaining cleavage and projection.  It is very unlikely that you will end up with sufficient "fullness" of the breast if you do not use a style 15 implant (at least according to your photos).  Also, your left breast is smaller and there is enough of a difference that you could consider using a slightly larger implant on your left side.

Discuss this with your surgeon in detail before your procedure.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Choosing Implant Type?

+1

I think you are asking too much of yourself in trying to  choose the specific type of implant that would best meet your goals.

Prior to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

Choice of implant styles

+1

The implant that is chosen should be a collaboration between you and your surgeon with you providing the desired result you want and your surgeon providing you the options to get as close as possible to that result while discussing the pros and cons of each choice. In general, the less projecting implant will give the most "natural" result. The implant that fits within the dimensions of your natural breast that allows the nipple to position in the center of the implant will give the most natural result. As you increase the diameter to beyond the normal width and increase the projection (or roundness) of the implant, the more the breast will mimic the implant. In general, the smaller you go, the less long-term complication. Spend time with your surgeon to thoroughly review all these implications. If you choose wisely, your breast anatomy appears as if you can have a wonderful result.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Implant type based on preferred size then diameter

+1

Your plastic surgeon should work with you to selct the right size and type of implant. The first thing to decide is what size (volume) you want. Once that is determined, then the implant style will be selected that has the right diameter.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for the question. I get asked this type of question frequently and answer by tellling the patient that they hire their plastic surgeon, whoever that might be, for their experience and expertise. Unless you have done this operation hundreds of times, it is unlikely you will do a better job of choosing the implant than your surgeon. If you have shown him/her photos of what you want, he had the necessary information to get you as close to that goal as possible. Patients get far too caught up in the numbers (width, volume, etc) of the implants when all that really matters is what look you get after the implant is added to your breast. For instance, did you know the two implants you listed are about 1/4 inch different in width and less than two teaspoons different in volume? Those differences are negligible. Your cleavage will be the same as it was before surgery and your tiny bit of asymmetry is normal and will also persist after your procedure. Hope this helps.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD