Allergan 410 Vs Mentor CPG. Which Highly Cohesive Implant is Better, and Why?

Petite frame, 5'6", 117 lbs, 27 years old, mother of 1, breast fed for 2 years, currently 34 A cup, wanting cohesive breast implants to achieve a full B cup.

Sientra Implants are available in the US to Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and their patients

+1

Finally we have free access to Sientra- Silimed Breast Implants!!!!  Yea!   I have used them since 2004 and have place over 900 as part of the FDA study .   They are highly cohesive Gummy Bear Implants.   

The study was published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal and it is only one style of implant .  They also make 3 anatomic styles and a low profile.  I have used them all and love them.   They have the lowest complication rates I have ever seen.  

Sientra has decided to only sell to real plastic surgeons.   You can be sure you are in the best of hands when you choose Sientra Breast Implants.  These Gummy Bear Breast Implants Rock!

Breast implant size?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Cohesive gel implants

+1

The cohesive gel implants are not readily available at this time in the US and only a handful of surgeons around the country are part of the research protocol.

Silicone breast implants: Allergan 410 or Mentor CPG

+1

The first question that comes to mind is can you identify a surgeon who can place these implants (410  or  CPG). The distribution of these is limited and not readily available to all surgeons. The primary advantage of them is the form stable quality of the implant. However they tend to be slightly more firm than the traditional and widely available cohesive gel implants which are the more popular and available for use wtih readily available data on its record.

Cohesive gel implants are very versatile

+1
Cohesive gel implants come in anatomic or round shapes. Within each of these groups there are several choices ie different profiles and heights. I have used both types of anatomic implants ie from both manufacturers. They each have advantages and disadvantages. In your specific case your choice of implant will depend on the final shape you desire.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Silicone Gel Cohesive Implants

+1

The goof thing about all of the silicone implants these days is that they are cohesive.  This means that if you cut them in half, the gel just sits there like jello.  It does not ooze out anywhere. The style 410 or CPG are anatomically shaped, textured implants, meaning they are form stable.  They are put in place in a very specific orientation, and they will stay that way.  They work great for breast reconstruction, but really are limited for breast augmentation.  They do not move like a regular breast does due to the texturing, and because of the slightly firmer gel, do not act like a natural breast.  They definetely have their place, but they are not for everyone.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Form-Stable or Gummy Bear Implants

+1

There are not huge differences between the implants made by either company.  The FDA has been slow to approve these implants for general use yet. 

They also benefit a fairly small number of patients, although you may be a good candidate if our skin is not too loose and you do not want  a very large augmentation.

Dr Yates provided a very good discussion of these implants here:

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implants with highly cohesive gel

+1

Highly cohesive gel implants are referred to as form stable, gummy bear, and of course highly cohesive as well. They describe an implant in which the gel is semisolid and does not flow as the fill in a saline or regular silicone gel implant will. Comparing the Allergan and the Mentor you have to ask yourself in what way. The implants are stiff and unless you have very special circumstances it is unlikely you would be better off with either. Even cohesive gel implants wear and leak so you may get a compromised result for little benefit. New is not always better for everyone.

peterejohnsonmd

Anatomic implants

+1

Is there a reason for an anatomic implant.  Judging by your size, a smooth round implant may give you a more natural result if placed under the muscle.  Anatomic implants may rotate with time and are generally firmer.  Smooth round implants from either company are less expensive and if placed properly will give an excellent result.

Leonard Harris, MD
Burlington Plastic Surgeon