3 months post op of Breast Reduction and still have wound. Should I start another round of antibiotics? (photos)

I am 12 weeks post breast reduction and still having issues healing. I'm one week off this round antibiotics and I just started to become red, tender and yucky drainage again. I've been on Keflex2x, Clinda, cipro&bactrim. My PS has been kind and explains everything well but things have changed. My next appt is 1 week. I hate to call the office because I feel like such a bother now. Its obvious everyone is annoyed by me at this point. My husband won't even go to appts with me anymore. What to do?

3 months post op of Breast Reduction and still have wound. Should I start another round of antibiotics?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.
Unfortunately, these types of wound healing problems can occur after breast reduction surgery. The most important "step" for successful resolution, in my opinion, is close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to recommend appropriate local wound care, treat any infection present, and/or remove any suture material that potentially will delay healing.
Generally speaking, patients who experience these types of superficial separations go on to heal well, without long-term detraction from the end results. Occasionally, scar revision surgery may be helpful, if the scar is wider in the involved area.

Fat necrosis can lead to protracted wound healing after breast reduction.

Fat has very poor blood supply in if a small amount dies below and incision it can lead to a wounded may take many months to close completely.

Breast Reduction

Hi E,
Sorry you are having trouble.  Most likely this is some suture that has not dissolved.  Since you have failed antibiotic courses it may not be an infection at all, or it could be a T.B. skin infection as they come on after two months.  Ask your doctor about a culture for this, and stay out of hot tubs.  Otherwise, things like this are common and eventually heal in.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Maybe but this is fat necrosis so I might recommend PRP infusion therapy with enriched cells. Good Luck..  

Wound heling problems after a breast reduction

The procedure is from start to finish and would healing problems are part of the package.  No one likes dealing with problems but the manner in which they are dealt with shows the true concern and compassion of your plastic surgeon.  Your problem is most likely due to either fat necrosis or a suture knot infection.  The key to getting this to heal is to remove any foreign material such as  a suture knot otherwise it just takes time and conservative management.

Breast reduction wound

First of all, you are being very well taken care of by your plastic surgeon and he/she would want to know if you are having problems with healing again, especially if something has changed.I doubt that you are a bother to anyone at the office since we as plastic surgeons want to take care of our patients with any concerns.Healing issues can happen with any surgery and you should contact your plastic surgeon.Sometimes these areas can take up to 4-6 months to heal.Be patient and stay healthy.

Allen Gabriel, MD, FACS