Sutures showing below eye corner on upper cheek area after face lift and fat transfer. Is this normal?

I had a face lift & fat transfer on May 1st. I have a noticeable suture showing by my eye above the cheek bone. Is this normal for a suture to show like a cyst after 2 months? My plastic surgeon said it will dissolve. To give it time. I trust him but it's very annoying & didn't know if I should have I removed. I'm also a bit puffier under one eye than the other w/the fat transfer. How long can it take for both the suture & fat to dissolve?? Thank you.

As others have stated, the suture is a absorbable suture that will eventually resolve.  Depending on what type of suture was used, it can take up to 6 months. If it continues to cause a problem or larger cyst, it can be removed and you should follow up with your plastic surgeon to discuss that option with them.  Good luck.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

21 Tamal Vista Blvd
Corte Madera, CA 94925

Sutures and fat swelling

The small cyst formed by the suture is probably from an absorbable suture.
It will go away after a face lift. If you are impatient, ask your surgeon about possibly removing it.

The asymmetric puffiness, if slight, is also quite normal.
Keep in touch with your plastic surgeon - best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Suture knot visible after facelift surgery

Most likely this is a suture knot and your plastic surgeon assured you that it was a dissolvable one.  It usually takes 4 months for this suture knot to go away.  If it does not or is very visible it can be removed under local anesthesia  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Facelift with fat transfer - swelling and suture showing

Sutures showing below eye corner on upper cheek area after facelift and fat transfer. Is this normal? The patient had a facelift and fat transfer approximately 2 months prior. She notes a suture showing by the eye and puffiness in the area of that transfer but no photographs are offered. Certainly the surgeon should know if the suture will absorb. There could even be some swelling around the fat transfer which subsequently will resolve. Although treatment of these areas is not complex I would suggest trusting your surgeon and giving it more time, perhaps another two months.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

400 Celebration Place
Celebration, FL 34747

Sutures by corner of the eye after facelift and fat transfer

If your surgeon used an absorbable suture below the skin, it is normal to have a small bump present for several months.  If it persists, your surgeon can easily remove it
Regarding the fat transfer, the answer is less clear.  Fat that is transferred may go away in a few weeks or months, or it may stay in the new area for months to years.  I would suggest waiting a few months longer and if no improvement, ask your surgeon if the area can be addressed

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

2865 N Reynolds Road
Toledo, OH 43615

You said it best........ "I trust him.......". Why, then, would you seek advise on a forum where no one has access to you physically for an exam. It may get confusing and only trouble you more. Be patient and continue to have open discussions with your surgeon. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD, FACS

7190 SW 87 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173

Swollen lids after fat transfer

Lower lids will stay swollen for a longer period of time than the rest of the face.  So give this area a few months to go down.  Sometimes the buried sutures will start to work their way up toward the skin instead of dissolving quickly. It can take a couple of months for these to dissolve depending on what type of suture was used.  If it starts to pop through the skin your surgeon can then just take it out.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

2912 S. Douglas Rd.
Coral Gables, FL 33134

Healing After Facelift and Fat Transfer

Without seeing your pictures and knowing what your surgeon did, it is difficult to give you an answer. Absorbable sutures on the surface of the skin should be completely gone by now. Occasionally, if deeper sutures were used, these can come to the surface and need to be removed by your surgeon.

Asymmetric swelling can occur after the type of procedures you had done. When in doubt, show your surgeon what is bothering you so that he or she can either take corrective action or reassure you and put your mind at ease.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

180 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Without knowing exactly what your surgeon did and what exact type and size suture he/she used,  I cannot answer those questions other than to say swelling and dissolving sutures can take up to many months. Best to ask your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

9495 Sunset Dr.
Miami, FL 33173

Questions about suture material after facelift should be handled by your surgeon.

Your surgeon should be at your disposal to deal with wound healing issues including sutures after your procedure.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305